What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Catto 3 blade is on the build schedule!

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
Talked to Craig today and the 3 blade prop for my RV-7A, O-360 will be built next month. Need to get the spinner and tip paint to him by the end of the month. My plane is being painted in House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red and Craig is going to paint the tips with the same HOK Kandy Apple Red.

He said that my prop would be one of the new design props. He has tweaked the design so it gives better climb performance while not giving up anything in cruise. The new design has slightly less pitch but wider blades. He says that it will beat Van's numbers.

Can't wait. Prop was ordered Feb.7, 2007 and should ship next month. I told him when I ordered it that I didn't need it until December so he will be right on schedule.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Lycoming O-360-A1A

My 3 blade Catto prop arrived last week

After a 10 month wait. It's the new design. I had originally ordered a 66" diameter with a 76" pitch. The delivered new design prop was a 74" pitch which Craig says is the equivalent of 76" pitch in the old design. Tip - use masking tape around the base of the blades before putting the spinner on over them. Craig cut the spinner and it's a very tight fit around the blades. If you don't use the tape, Craig uses Ace Hardware premium flat black enamel for the black back side paint. I'll be getting a can of that......Now, on to getting the cowling to fit.

Al Thomas
N880AT (RV8A QB)
FWF & electrical

Talked to Craig today and the 3 blade prop for my RV-7A, O-360 will be built next month. Need to get the spinner and tip paint to him by the end of the month. My plane is being painted in House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red and Craig is going to paint the tips with the same HOK Kandy Apple Red.

He said that my prop would be one of the new design props. He has tweaked the design so it gives better climb performance while not giving up anything in cruise. The new design has slightly less pitch but wider blades. He says that it will beat Van's numbers.

Can't wait. Prop was ordered Feb.7, 2007 and should ship next month. I told him when I ordered it that I didn't need it until December so he will be right on schedule.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Lycoming O-360-A1A

Hi Steve,

Finally got my Catto in Sept. It was scheduled for July. If you want the prop on time you will need to hold his feet to the fire. He's busy...!!!!! And that leads to delays. I have one of the new carbon fiber three blade RV race props. It is a beautiful... awesome looking piece of craftmanship.

Just an FYI...

Craig is a great person to deal with for sure, but you must stay in CONTACT with him!!! You will love your prop.

Question....

Hi Darrell,
Did Craig build the carbon prop? If so, what was the cost and how does it perform compared to the composite three blade that I run?

Thanks,

Hi Darrell,
Did Craig build the carbon prop? If so, what was the cost and how does it perform compared to the composite three blade that I run?

Thanks,

Hi Pierre,

I just received the prop late last month. Yes, this is the "New" Catto three blade race lay-up as he calls it. It's a Hybrid. Price is the same. I will have no performance numbers until I get her on the plane and fly.

Last edited:
Back