What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Condition Inspection safety items

Vern

Well Known Member
From Dave Hamilton-he wanted circulation of this safety info-Vern
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
All,

I want to share a few lessons learned from the annual condition inspection I am doing on my RV-8. This was my first homebuilt and I am still learning how to do things correctly. I share this information in the hopes that someone can be spared the expense, downtime and potential danger.

I found a large crack on the #4 exhaust. The crack began in the weld where the flange bolts to the cylinder and progressed down and around the pipe 180 degrees. I sent the exhaust back to Larry Vetterman for repair. Larry called me and gave me some much needed insight to exhaust maintenance.

The exhaust cracked in part because the slip joints and ball joints were frozen up. Larry recommends they be lubricated with ?mouse milk? which is available at Spruce. Every time the cowl is off, reapply the mouse milk. These joints are there so the exhaust can flex. They must be lubricated.

I also hung my exhaust incorrectly. Mine was hung from the bottom of the engine case. I reasoned that the exhaust would move with the engine better and would be less likely to crack. In fact this resulted in a crack because the exhaust hangers were too far forward leaving too much pipe unsupported behind them. Its okay to hang the exhaust from the engine mount because the lubricated slip and ball joints will allow the exhaust to flex as intended. The front of the exhaust is supported by the flanges and the hangars need to go as far back as possible.

Now the BIGGIE! I have the heat muff that Van sells. There are two pieces on each end that fit around the exhaust pipe. They are connected by rods and then the muff wraps around these pieces. There are some hose clamps that hold the whole thing together. Mine never fit tightly. We NEED to file the holes where the rods connect to elongate them. Once these holes are elongated, you can get the heat muff to clamp TIGHTLY to the pipe. I remember my muff being loose on the pipe with the clamps as tight as I dare make them and the muff still fitting loosely. I reasoned that since it came from Van?s it must be okay. My heat muff has been chattering on the exhaust pipe for 230 hours. The exhaust pipe was nearly worn through! Imagine the consequences of a major hot exhaust leak there. Melted heater box and hot toxic blow torch at my feet? Fire? I have checked the heat muff on a couple of friend?s airplanes and guess what. Both were just as loose as mine and are likely wearing their exhaust pipes too.

Finally a plug for Larry Vetterman. He fixed my system for his cost and turned it around in 1 day. He called me to explain what I was doing wrong. Larry wants us all to be safe and enjoy years of trouble free service from his product once properly installed and maintained.

Ignorance may be bliss, but can lead to a very rude awakening!

Fraternally,

Dave Hamilton

exhaust hangars

Vern,

My Vetterman exhaust came with hardware and drawings for supporting the pipes from the engine sump bolts (4-5 years ago). Has he now changed this recommendation?

Thanks,

Alan

Exhaust

Mine came with instructions to attach to the lower case (pan) and that's the way I did it. Has Mr. Vetterman changed his way of mounting? Have also found slip joints on our Pitts S-2A and Piper Lance to be locked up solid. How best to loosen these? Thanks for a useful post. Bill

Carbon Monoxide= deth!

Vern, tell Dave that a worn through exhaust pipe in the heater muff will not cause his feet to see any fire but rather he wont notice anything tell he dies from impact with the ground after he passes out from carbon monoxide poisoning, this type of exhaust damage is very dangerous!

Russ

Exhaust Mounting

I just returned from the post office as a proud owner of a new Vetterman exhaust. (RV-8, IO-360-M1B)

Two mounting methods are included.

1) Attach to outer holes on sump rear.

2) Attach mounting clamps to engine mount tube - Use this method if there is engine mount tube interference with the mounting kit tubes going to the engine sump.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Great Info

Thanks Vern and Dave for the heads up on this problem. I will lubricate those exhaust joints as you suggest. Hope you also saw my post on the throttle/mixture cable lockup after 300 hours of flying due to heat.

Mike "Fossil" Ballard
flying RV-8 number2
building RV-8 number 3

Resurrecting....

My ball joints seem to be frozen. I have applied Mouse Milk on them for the past few days, but no joy. I also tapped them, and wiggled the tail pipe. Still frozen. What would be the best procedure to free them up?

Vern, tell Dave that a worn through exhaust pipe in the heater muff will not cause his feet to see any fire but rather he wont notice anything tell he dies from impact with the ground after he passes out from carbon monoxide poisoning, this type of exhaust damage is very dangerous!

Russ

absolutely!!!!!! I read about a guy in a C172 in Florida who turned on the cabin heat and woke up in a tree. He was not injured, which is quite a miracle. He had no memory of what happened. They found his exhaust cracked under the heat muff. This is an absolute mandatory inspection item at annual. It has killed many pilots and passengers.

Last edited:
Resurrecting....

My ball joints seem to be frozen. I have applied Mouse Milk on them for the past few days, but no joy. I also tapped them, and wiggled the tail pipe. Still frozen. What would be the best procedure to free them up?

I would apply some heat, more penetrating oil. Start with a heat gun, then perhaps a plumbers torch to burn off the corrosion. Have a fire ext. handy! But a mixture of heat, penetrating oil and force usually can free just about anything.

Mount it to the sump and there will be less relative motion between the tailpipes and the headers. The whole thing swings as a unit. But you still need to Mouse-Milk the ball joints.

Expect a little smoke on the first start after doing this!

Back