What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safe Primers?

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I know this is sort of an oxymoron, but what are some of the safer primers available with regards to health and environmental issues?

I am currently using AFS's water based primer sealer with limited success. I am trying to resolve my issues but I want to be prepared to switch products quickly should I choose to do so. Ideally I would be looking for a primer/sealer combo, but right now I am primarily concerned with just building a list less toxic choices.

Thanks,

AFS primer

RV7Factory said:
I know this is sort of an oxymoron, but what are some of the safer primers available with regards to health and environmental issues?

I am currently using AFS's water based primer sealer with limited success. I am trying to resolve my issues but I want to be prepared to switch products quickly should I choose to do so. Ideally I would be looking for a primer/sealer combo, but right now I am primarily concerned with just building a list less toxic choices.

Thanks,

Just curious, what are the issues you're trying to resolve?

FYI, I'm trying out AFS primer, and it's worked out OK - I like the fact I can clean it up with water and don't have to mix a two-part expoxy paint, and the stuff seems to stick well. I used an HVLP gun to apply it and it went on thicker than I wanted, but it was the first time I'd used it and I didn't thin it. I'll keep some distilled water on hand next time to do just that. John

Issues... rough splattered finish.

I have been on the phone with AFS several times, and I must say they have been very pleasant and willing to help. They have made several recommendations based on my specific set-up, however none seem to improve the situation. I am going to call them again today. ;-)

Yea, this stuff is so easy to deal with and you gotta love that clean-up. Dan at AFS had the following recommendations for me the other day that may assist you.

> I am spraying with a detail gun that has a 1.0mm tip. He said the tip is pretty small and the primer will need further reducing. He suggested 18-20 secs on the viscosity cup for that size tip, but I could go down to 16, but not lower, if I really needed to. Larger tips don't need that much reducing.

> For the HVLP guns he said he gets the best results when spraying with 25psi fed to the gun (with the trigger open).

> He said 3 coats should be all that you need. First coat is a light fog, second coat is thicker and you should still be able to see a little of the aluminum through it, and the 3rd coat should hide the aluminum completely.

> He recommended I stir the primer longer and run it through a filter (which I was). He suggested using a homemade mixing wand by bending some metal rod into a small triangle (at the end) and chucking it a cordless drill. He even went as far to say I could put it in my drill press and leave it for a bit. However, you want this to be done a low speed with no frothing or bubbling of the primer.

I am starting to think my problems have been cause by not stirring enough. I had been stirring for several minutes but there has still been a lot of small solids in suspension. Some small pieces of solid are going through the filter and ending up as a speckled/splattered finish on my parts. So I am going to try the stirring wand/drill press idea and see if I can disolve more of the solids. We shall see!

Last edited:
Back