What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEDS for RST Marker beacon

petehowell

Well Known Member
I will be creating a remote light panel for an RST marker beacon receiver. Does any one know the current output of the RST unit. I have 30ma LEDs and just wondering if I will need to put in some dropping resistors. I have the RST documentation, but it does not spell it out (that I can see).

TIA

Add resistors...

Pete... you need to add dropping resistors for LEDs.

150 ohms should be fine. That is how RST does it in their audio panel. Check page 4 of this PDF file...

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/support/RST-564_565.pdf

You could drive lamps directly though....

UPDATE

RST is not driving the LEDs directly from 12 volts. If you go directly to your bus to drive your LEDs, 390 or 470 ohms are the resistors to use. If you want to go fancier, you could put a zener (about 5 volt to start) in series with the LED feed. Short it out with a switch for "Bright" - when it's in the circuit you are on a "Dim" setting...

The MB output transistors pull the wires down to essentially 0 volts when active. So the other end of the LEDS would connect to a positive supply...

According to their specifications, the drive is good for 60 mA.

gil in Tucson

PS It went out Priority Mail today.... :)

Last edited:
Thanks Gil!

I saw the 150 Ohm resistors and thought the currrent would be a little high. I like the zener diode idea for dimming.

This will be a fun little project. Your check is on the way.

Back