What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red Bull Air Race San Diego Anyone?

Baja_Traveler

Well Known Member
Anyone going to the races here in San Diego? I'll be getting the Race Club tickets for both days (Sept 21st and 22nd)

I think my buddy and I are going down there on Sat. I looked for ticket prices but never saw them on their website. Could you point me in the right direction?

Baja_Traveler said:
Anyone going to the races here in San Diego? I'll be getting the Race Club tickets for both days (Sept 21st and 22nd)

I was at Montgomery this weekend and was talking to the guy at the FBO about the up coming Red Bull Air Race. Unfortunately I'll be up in South Lake Tahoe that weekend....to add insult to injury I'm going on Southwest! :mad:

Not a bad place to be mind you, but I'd much rather fly in for the races. I hear they're planning on having the planes take off from a carrier deck in the harbor....that is going to be sweet!

-John
Planning to build an RV....someday :rolleyes:

Go Here and click on "Tickets" for the event or area you are interested in.

Race Club tickets for both days are just over $200, but the grand stand is front and center for the best view (and pictures!), and food and drinks are included all day long both days.

Standing with the crowds is going to cost $25 on Saturday, and because of crowd control they will not let you leave and come back for food and such, so the available vendors will have to do.

I had heard that they were going to use North Island to base the planes out of, but the FAQ I read says that the planes are using Brown Field as the base.

I'll be there Saturday, haven't figured out which tickets yet though. (probably not the real expensive ones!)

Red Bull San Diego

I'm coming down. My wife and I are going to be flying into Redlands airport, pick up my brother and his wife and then fly down to San Diego. I am really looking forward to it.

We are just doing the $25 tickets. I think you will be able to see it very well from lots of places. I thought about just getting a room over looking the bay at the Marriott Hotel. But they wanted $360/night and I would have had to get two nights to make sure I saw it. Plus, it is more fun to be in the mix of everything. Maybe I will see some of you down there.

Last edited:
SD Air Races...

So....how was it? Anybody get any good pics? It would have been fun...but I can't complain to much, I was in Cabo sipping margaritas on the beach.

-John
Planning to build an RV....someday:rolleyes:

So....how was it? Anybody get any good pics? It would have been fun...but I can't complain to much, I was in Cabo sipping margaritas on the beach.

-John

Its not untill next weekend:)

So I'll be in the crowd wearing my VAF Hula Girl T-shirt and carrying a big camera at the North Embarcadero. I'll be there both Friday and Saturday so say Hi if you see me.

D'oh!!

Its not untill next weekend:)

There isn't an emoticon to fully express the Homer Simpson moment I'm having right now. :eek::rolleyes::eek:

I'm still going to miss it....to bad I'm going to be in Tahoe next weekend.

I'll repost my inquiriy to how the races were next Sunday. :p

-John

This might work :)
homerdoh.jpg

There isn't an emoticon to fully express the Homer Simpson moment I'm having right now. :eek::rolleyes::eek:

I'm still going to miss it....to bad I'm going to be in Tahoe next weekend.

I'll repost my inquiriy to how the races were next Sunday. :p

-John

San Diego

Which field is everybody flying into? Has anyone checked the FBO's for tie down availablility? Reno had plenty of parking at one FBO and none at the others....
Any luck on affordable hotels?

Some of us from Phoenix, AZ are thinkin about flying into Gillespee (KSEE) and taking the orange line trolley to Seaport Village. Its about an hour ride each way on the trolley.

RedBull Air races on TV

Passing this on, I did not know but FSN (Fox Sports Net) has TV coverage of the air races, albeit late. Right now Istanbul Turkey is being shown which was flown back in Jun. I believe they show all the races. Heck I did not even know I had FSN on my basic cable.

Oh Yea, I've watched them all on FSN - they were showing the Monument Valley (Utah) race last week. That is one place I would love to go and watch a race...

As for transportation to downtown San Diego - I would highly recommend taking the trolley, as parking in our downtown area is very hit and miss, you'll end up walking a long way to the race, and you'll end up spending lots of money paying the mafia parking companies for the priviledge. I'll be jumping on the trolley from the Old Town stop. There are tons of places to stay here - being a tourist destination and all - shouldnt be too hard to find a place on hotels.com or other such place that will fit most any budget. The nice thing is that school has started, so our high season for tourists is over.

Did you SEE the low pylon slice?

Oh Yea, I've watched them all on FSN - they were showing the Monument Valley (Utah) race last week. That is one place I would love to go and watch a race..
Did you see the one dude that hit a pylon low where the its made of heavier material like canvas. It damaged the heck out of the plane. I saw one other cut the pylon higher. Its less thick but I think it still damages the plane.

Yea, UTAH course was over that beautiful red rock, but the surface is uneven and think that hurts depth perception. That's where the one pilot hit the pylon down loooowww. Heck they are doing LOOPS at 800 feet AGL and rolling on an inverted 45 and pulling out at less than 100 feet. I hate to say it but it looks dangerous. Those pilots have skill and cajones.

Last edited:
San Diego

Is Gillespie field preferrable to Montgomery? I see the Orange Trolley goes from KSEE direct to the Seaport. Sounds best? Am looking forward to this after watching on TV for a few weeks. We had them in San Francisco once and I thought they'd be back. I'll look for Van's shirts....

LMYF

Is Gillespie field preferrable to Montgomery?

If you fly into Montgomery I can't say enough good things about Gibbs FBO. Friendly people and good service. $5 per night for a tie down, waived with fuel purchase. I don't remember the fuel price off the top of my head, but it was around $4.50/gallon. If you need a rental car you can get it right there. I'm not sure how crowded it will be with the races and all, but I would recommend it over Gillespie due to it's proximity to downtown.

-John

But... Montgomery is no where near the trolley line, so a car rental would be pretty much mandatory.

I believe he hit the buckle section of the pylon down low trying to pull the turn too hard. I'm amazed that he was able to recover safely...

Kirby Chambliss has been doing practice runs all day down at Brown Field. Talked to a commercial pilot based down there on the ham radio today and all I could hear every transmission was an Extra doing high G turns! I was ready to keep on driving on my way home from work! He was saying that they were putting on quite a show this afternoon.

I got tickets online for the North Embarcadero for both days.

Bad News!!

The Bad News - 50% chance of rain here on Friday!!:mad: 40% chance Saturday!!:mad::mad:

The Good News - Because of Point Conception and the offshore islands it is extremely difficult to accurately predict the weather here, and they are wrong as often as they are right. I'm praying for the former...

Haven't seen a drop of rain in the city for five months, and now its deciding to brew up on the day I've been looking forward to all year - figures...:rolleyes:

You can read about the impending storm here: http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/weblogs/weather/

OTOH......

The Bad News - 50% chance of rain here on Friday!!:mad: 40% chance Saturday!!:mad::mad:

The Good News - Because of Point Conception and the offshore islands it is extremely difficult to accurately predict the weather here, and they are wrong as often as they are right. I'm praying for the former...

Haven't seen a drop of rain in the city for five months, and now its deciding to brew up on the day I've been looking forward to all year - figures...:rolleyes:

You can read about the impending storm here: http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/weblogs/weather/

On the other hand, typically the first two or three storms of the year don't make it all the way south to San Diego. One can only hope. Sure do need the rain, though! :eek:

Back