What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some questions

rleffler

Well Known Member
Well this isn't a question about painting my RV-10. It's about my Cherokee 180. But since the process should be the same, I'll pose my questions here.

I've had some hail damage and my insurance company had me take the plane to Hangar 6 in Hillsboro, OH. for repair estimates.

For an additional $3k, they would paint the entire aircraft as opposed to just the repaired areas being painted.

I made some inquires about their paint process. The following is the reply that I just got.

Your aircraft will then be sanded to the base metal, primed, sealed and painted with an acrylic urethane single stage paint. Hangar 6 prefers to use the P.P.G. DCC concept product line.

I'm no expert, but two items that I think I need to question.

1. I thought sanding was not good and that chemical stripping is the preferred method.

2. Isn't the surface supposed to be etched, then alodine, before the primer?

So are these show stoppers and I should look someplace else?

The plane is currently painted with Imron. Is the paint that they want to use equal or better in quality?

thanks,
bob

More detail

Ask for more detail on the painting process.... I think you will at least find an etch in the process, and probably an alodine....

I think you just got the short answer...

gil A

Gil,

What about the sanding? I thought we we never suppose to sand the aluminum?

thanks,

bob

rleffler said:
Your aircraft will then be sanded to the base metal, primed, sealed and painted with an acrylic urethane single stage paint. Hangar 6 prefers to use the P.P.G. DCC concept product line.

The plane is currently painted with Imron. Is the paint that they want to use equal or better in quality?

thanks,
bob
I personally like PPG DCC Concept over Imron. Imron got its name because it was one of the first Urethane paints on the market. Other brands have exceeded it's quality. Imron is still a great paint and I'm sure others will argue with my opinion. After all, It's just mine.

Carefully....

rleffler said:
Gil,

What about the sanding? I thought we we never suppose to sand the aluminum?

thanks,

bob
Depends how careful they are.... the spec is to typically not exceed 10% reduction in thickness. Fine grit and stopping as soon as the metal shows should be OK.

However, the Alclad layer would be somewhat removed, making the alodine step more desirable, IMHO.

gil A

Which Paint

rleffler said:

thanks,
bob

Bob:

There are many good quality paints available. As Mel said, Imron was one of the first and it is good paint. We used them as standard on Grumman American light aircraft back in the '70s.

I used the PPG Concept on my interior and I think it looks great. But my exterior is AcryGlo. Why? Because that's what my paint shop was familiar with and they didn't want to "experiment" with a brand they weren't familiar with.

I think you'll find most paint shops have one system they prefer, and are comfortable with and so that's what they recommend. It's not a knock on any other brand, it's just the paint they know well and so are comfortable applying.

Chris

Chris makes a very good point. The quality of the urethane paint systems are all so good that the application is more important than the brand. Whatever the shop normally uses will yield the best results.

Have them give you some references, then go look at some of the planes they have painted using the same process. Talk with the plane owners.

Back