What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Macon County Airport, Franklin,NC

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I'm planning to fly up this weekend.
Can anyone give me some feedback on the airport/location to get to the mountains for some R&R.
I'm flying in from FL and would like to establish a good staging area to enjoy NC.

Is there a better location in proximity to the mountains...?

Nice little airport

I've flown to Franklin from Florida and Georgia many times. It has a new (2-4 years old) FBO and real nice folks. There are rental cars available but I usually get picked up by a relative who has a summer home in the Glenville area. It is fairly convenient to National Parks, Rental cottages on lakes and streams, recreation areas, hiking, etc. Nice paved runway with a little slope from east to west, no problem for single engine and especially an RV. Coming from the south a small ridge blocks the view of the airport from the air until you are almost over it. Once you fly there a couple of times you have no problem setting up for the pattern. The other two that I have used are Blairsville and Andrews/Murphy. Both have similar facilities, runways and access to activities in the Mountains.

Andrews-Murphy

I'm based at Andrew-Murphy if you have any questions. If you are interested in rafting, Andrew- Murphy (RHP) is between the Nantahala and Ocoee rivers.

John

pilot28906 said:
I'm based at Andrew-Murphy if you have any questions. If you are interested in rafting, Andrew- Murphy (RHP) is between the Nantahala and Ocoee rivers.

John

John,
Would you recommed RHP over 1A5?
I've heard that I could get stuck at 1A5 with IMC. RHP better?
We've driven up several times but would like to make regular trips in the RV. Never made it this weekend due to crappy weather at my home base and unable to get out.

Back