What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Basics

GolfJulietRomeo

I'm New Here
I've been following this thread for a while and the discussions regarding how much different and how much the same the RV-12 will be to it's brethren; at least as much as can be known at this time. What I haven't seen, however, are any discussions on how hard it will be to build and what it will take (apart from maybe less money).

I've seen the discussion regarding pull rivets etc; how about what other compliment of tooling may be required. Any guesses?

I've never built a plane but have been thinking about it for a while. Did some preliminary research and bought the plans for an RV-9 but the economics and my lack of space at the time nixed that. I'm not a mechanic but not unhandy either. I'm pretty sure I can do it.

What I'm considering is getting ready for the RV-12 this fall and winter; acquiring the tools necessary and getting my (meager) space prepared for when the kit will available.

So, what I'm looking for is advice or opinions on where to get started.

Thanks!

Gordon

Closer to my dream!

I too am interested how difficult and time consuming it might be to complete an RV-12. Am I correct in assuming there is no drilling (predrilled) no dimpling and no deburring? I am retired, 61 years old and can easily spend 40++ hrs. per week on construction. I'm fairly mechanically inclined...stained the woodwork and wallpaperered and painted a new home. Once, a few years ago I even changed the water pump on a Chevy Citation (had an extra mounting bolt I couldn't put back in but that car ran for years without the bolt...don't plan on having extra unused bolts and nuts with the RV-12 though). I'm wondering if I should ship my standard RV-12 to a "Builder Assistance" location (three states away) or wait for the QB kit or try on my own. Wish I knew more about the QB I've heard about that might be ready four or five months after the standard kit. It's difficult to plan ahead because of the limited information avaliable.
I've been a sport pilot now for 14 months and flew with my first passenger today...my wife! She was calm and really enjoyed the ride out of Sebring Regional Airport in Florida...I think she finally understands why I enjoy flying so much.

Jerry-Great job on getting your wife into flying! I'm glad that she enjoyed the flight...hopefully that makes it easier to order your own plane :D

I've been following the development of the -12 the whole time as well, and from what I've gathered they're not in a hurry to develop a QB, since the standard kit is going to be so easy and fast to build. With the match-hole drilled technology it sounds like building the basic structure will be a simple matter of removing the blue plastic wrap around the rivet holes on the outside, priming the inside (if you want), clecoing the basic structure together and then pop-riveting the structure together. Unless I'm way off course, it seems like you could have the entire tail done in a few days, and the wings done in a matter of weeks with constant work. The basic fuse. should go together with the majority of the time being spent on wiring/engine hookup/instruments, but the basic structure should almost fall together. No deburring, no drilling, no dimpling...just riveting, and even that is on your own with no bucking bar! Of course, the more difficult parts like cowling and canopy are there, but you'll arrive at those steps much quicker now :p

In terms of time, I could certainly see the basic airframe together in 500 or less hours, with the completed airplane only being around 800. That's the same or less time than current QB's (on average, I know everyone's different, don't flame me please). With you being able to devote 40+ hours a week on the plane you should fly through it! I really think that's why a QB option is only an afterthought right now...it really isn't going to save you all that much time for what you'll have to pay. Where a -7/8/9/10 QB may save you 1000 hours or more, a -12 QB may only save you a few hundred, at most. (Again, just my own opinions/hopes)

Gordon- I'm no expert on metal airplanes, but if you want to start getting tools I would start simple at first. I'm assuming you have the basics, but things like an air compressor and a set of good files may be a wise idea. Hopefully more will chime in with more ideas as they read this, as I'd like to know as well.

Last edited:
Back