What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel/Oil Transducer Location OK?

Gsuit

Well Known Member
What are the goods / bads for installing the pressure transducer manifold like this? I'm trying to keep the usual left upper firewall free of objects for my oil cooler plenum/hosing.

IMG_0093.jpg

Gsuit said:
What are the goods / bads for installing the pressure transducer manifold like this? I'm trying to keep the usual left upper firewall free of objects for my oil cooler plenum/hosing.

IMG_0093.jpg

As long as nothing on the back of the engine interferes and as long as your transducers have a reasonable distance (remember everything vibrates around up there) between the transducer casing and the firewall then you are looking good. If you want to install them facing up, many of us just add in a spacer behind the manifold or face them forward.

I have to say though, that is a clever idea. We can't do that on the -8. since we don't have the firewall cut out to utilize.

Rob

Governor?

Hi Clayton,
That's recessed to accomodate a prop governor. If you're not going with a C/S prop, okay. If you're going C/S, I'd be sure that the governor won't interfere.

Regards,
Pierre

pierre smith said:
Hi Clayton,
That's recessed to accomodate a prop governor. If you're not going with a C/S prop, okay. If you're going C/S, I'd be sure that the governor won't interfere.

Regards,
Pierre
Also to allow room for the oil filter come off. Personally I wouldn't put 'em there. Hoses, wires, etc. right there where the oil filter & prop gov'r will be, not ideal imho.

I'd try not to mount them like that.

The reason I wouldn't is because any foreign matter will settle down in the sender. This could build up and cause false readings in a year or two, especially the oil pressure sender.

Mounted sideways or 180 from what you show they would be more "self cleaning".

Mark

Follow up question & thanks

Thanks guys for all the input. I was concerned with the fit of other items in the recess, although because I went with the shorter pcu5000x gov, and a remote oil filter setup, I thought I might get away with it. But, in light of the idea of 'gunk' being able to collect on the pressure ports, it's probably not the best location/configuration.

Having said all that, and given that I still need the real estate of the upper left firewall for the oil cooler hose and plenum, any suggestions for a better placement? As background info I have an XP-360, pcu-5000x gov, airwolf remote oil filter, james plenum (and cowl). You can kind of see in the lower right of the pic the mounts for the oil cooler, although the cooler itself is farther down the angles (not installed in the pic.)

I appreciate all the good advice you guys supply on this forum.

In the cabin?

Gsuit said:
any suggestions for a better placement? As background info I have an XP-360, pcu-5000x gov, airwolf remote oil filter, james plenum (and cowl).

Somewhere, possibly on this site is a picture where someone mounted the same thing on the cockpit side of the firewall with the senders facing aft.

I'm not keen on it myself as I've seen senders leak oil... but it's an option.

Clayton,

I mounted mine on the top corner of the motor mount with adel clamps. They are as close to the firewall that I could get them. Wires that pass through the firewall do so just above the upper corner of the motor mount.

The reason I did this is the motor mount is there, and it is in your way. So run as much stuff that you can with the motor mount tubing and it won't be in your way any more than the motor mount tubing was.

I ran a ground wire for each sender. BAD GROUND = BAD READINGS...If you need a picture let me know.

Warren

Back