What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI crank case thrust washer?

NYTOM

Well Known Member
I'm about to shoot the lock off and order a new ECI O-360 . Does anyone have any thoughts on the thrust washer option they offer. I'm going with a fixed pitch aluminum prop on a 6A and wonder what the reasoning is behind this feature. Is it necessary? Does it make the engine any more reliable than it already is? Thanks in advance for any insite you can provide.

Eci

Get in touch with Robbie Attaway at www.attawayair.com. He can help you out. He is a rep for them, a 2 time RV builder and an A&P. He will have the answer and be able to give you a great price.

ECI Thrust Washers

Thanks RV7GUY. I talked with a ECI representative and the reasoning behind the washer is because a lot of Lycomings wear in that area because in the Lycomings that area isn't pressure oiled so they provide a case like the lycoming but with an extra thrust washer as a no charge option. Or you can opt for the other new ECI case that has and pressure oil hole but no thrust washer. They recommend not using the washer since it just isn't needed.If anybody ever has any concerns about an ECI product, email them. Their great and got back to me ASAP.

I purchased the ECI kit from AERO in Granite City, IL. Per Jesse, who is the engine guy there, the thrust washer isn't really needed. I guess it depends on who you talk to about whether it's worth while or not.
I assembled the kit w/o the thrust washer, changed to a horiz FI system using AERO's sump and still spent less than $20K. It looks great, but I'm not to the stage where I can start it yet.
By the way, AERO's support was great and they helped me with things that ECI doesn't supply, such as hardware, etc.

Back