What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: RV-9A Trim Tab Mod

db1yg

Well Known Member
While building my second ele trim tab I realized what it was about the first one that I did not like--that trailing edge simply did not match the elevator and therefore looked like a borrowed part--to me anyway. The RV9 has double flush riveted trailing edges on all of its control surfaces---except the trim tab which is a bent trailing edge similar to all the other RVs (except the 10).

I saved the trim tab front "spar" and hinge and replaced the remainder. Made two end cap and two middle ribs from .025 aluminum, ordered up some more AEX wedge, used some .020 for the skin (which BTW makes for a much smoother surface vs the stock 016), and made a new trim tab with double flush riveted trailing edge which now matches the elevator. I know, I know, more a--- retentive behavior but I like the result. Pic is attached--click on pic to enlarge.

BTW, you might also notice that the VS/HS fairing has a curved surface at the top aft---I did not care for the "hole" that existed with the stock unit so an extension was glassed on using the complex curvature of a dixie cup as a model. I am hoping it will do a little better job of keeping moisture out of the tail cone of the aircraft. Pic attached.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Happy building from a chronic tinkerer!!!

Cheers,

db

Back