What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Lightweight & Maybe cheap SCAT tube clamps

Harold Lanfear

Well Known Member
You can save some weight and money by using standard "Tie Wraps" (Cable Ties in the AC Spruce catalog) for your cold air SCAT tubing clamps. Spruce carries a version ("Cobra Clamps") that lies flat if you need it to look nicer and can't hide the connector.

For the Hot air connections; the Aviation Dept of your local Auto Parts store carries "Constant Velocity Boot Clamps", which are essentially 1/4" wide Stainless Steel Tie Wraps. I've seen two versions of the clamps; the cheaper version ($1.25) you simply pulled tight and then pulled it 180 degrees in the other direction and bent down two tabs; clipped the excess and were good to go. The other (@ 2.20 ea) used metal 'teeth' in slots and the a final squeeze on a tension tab with my nippers (but not tight enough to cut the metal).

Both work very well and weigh about 1/4 oz. vs nearly a full oz. for a standard screw clamp. With ten clamps in my total system system, using the plastic and metal tie wraps saved about 1/2 lb and a couple of bucks - with no extra work.

Save weight, it counts counts

Harold Lanfear said:
Both work very well and weigh about 1/4 oz. vs nearly a full oz. for a standard screw clamp. With ten clamps in my total system system, using the plastic and metal tie wraps saved about 1/2 lb and a couple of bucks - with no extra work.
I like how you think. Great tip, thanks. You can save weight here and there and it adds up.

This reminded me, in the past I have used safety wire with the tool below. For air ducts I reinforced the area with a silicone reinforced fabric tape so the safety wire does not dig in. However when you wrap it around many times it distributes the pressure.

I got this tool years ago and you reminded me about it.:

DealerNewsMar06.gif

Hard to explain how to used it, but you can clamp off any hose. You loop the safety wire around several times (almost as many as you like) and the tool allows you to tighten it up, before securing and finishing it off. The safety wire hose clamp weight and cost are great of course.

I recommend it, but it takes a little practice to use. I'd would not use it on any safety of flight items, even though the clamping force is very high, but its probably never going to match a high quality SS metal hose clamp. However some test have shown favorable compared to hose clamps and clamp pressure. http://www.clamptitetools.com/resources/ClampTiteNewsletter.pdf

http://www.clamptitetools.com/Press.html

Notice some RV's site proud on their gear and other RV have gear splayed out like its straining to support the weight? :D I think this tool is good to have in the travel kit; even if you don't use it as your #1 choice, its a great backup emergency tool.

Last edited:
Back