What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chev V8 sweetness

maddog

I'm New Here
Check this out... a Fly by of a V8 conversion by a company called Geared Drives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3BUn3rIQQ

doesn't that sound sweet!!!

It seems they are about the manufacture of a geared PSRU using spur gears combined with a centrifugal clutch to absorb resonance/torsional vibration. They mention a few engines the PSRU could be mated to only.

Here's the clutch in action.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owTetckenYM&mode=related&search=

Like I said it PSRU only :( However, on their site I did however find a vague reference there to the possibility of a Firewall FWD kit in the future.

The only other V8 Firewall FWD manufacturer I am aware of is Vesta V8, and unfortunately I have not seen any activity on their website for a long time. Nor am I aware of anything flying from them yet, waiting patiently however and looking forward to our very own Todd Swezey getting his Vesta V8 powered RV10 up and running.

Anyway, Geared Drives looks very interesting and if they did develop an engine/PSRU package that works, they might be onto something. Best of luck!

http://www.geareddrives.com/

Last edited:
I've talked to many people who have seen Bud's Wheeler fly and are impressed. He has 450 hours on it which bodes well. I like many features about his drives. Not sure how the clutch stuff will work out really long term or about the use of stainless shafts. Once he gets a few thousand hours cumulatively on the engines and drives, we'll know for sure. I'm impressed with what he has accomplished so far. Bravo. He could stand to reduce the photo res on his site. Very long to load over dialup.

EPI is the most experienced in the V8/ redrive field with the proper equipment and experience to do the job right. I really like their professional, no BS approach and their informative, up to date website. http://www.epi-eng.com/index.html

This is where I'd be putting my money for a reliable V8 conversion package at this time. Unfortunately no prices. I expect they are not cheap.

The LS engines seem to be the way to go. They are cheap, light and reliable with a fair number now flying especially in Oz. I was just reading an E-mail this morning from a fellow there using one of these in a glider tow plane. They get 3 more tows per hour over the Lycoming tug because they just cut the throttle completely, dump full flaps, and don't worry about shock cooling. Pilots love to fly it. Much smoother, quieter and burns less fuel in this mission than their IO-540s.

We are actually looking at getting into a new ECU for these engines as we have had many requests.

Last edited:
For a tow tug application

I think a modern auto conversion would be hard to beat. I mean while on a cross country cruise I would expect to be able to fine tune the LOP mixture on the IO540 to beat the auto conversion (less cooling drag and infinitly variable mixture) . But going up and down it would be virtually impossible to dial in the right mixture for altitude that is varying all the time.

Thats what the modern auto FI will do for you you, and as you say..Shock cooling...Whats that?

Frank 7a IO360...Now featuring mogas for 5 hours at 25DEG max timing

<<a geared PSRU using spur gears combined with a centrifugal clutch to absorb resonance/torsional vibration.>>

1. A centrifugal clutch does not "absorb" vibration. If the F1 natural frequency of the system is less than the exciting frequency at the lock-up RPM, then the system cannot resonate at F1. For example, this system has a stated clutch lockup speed of 1000 RPM. With an 8 cyl 4-stroke engine, the most powerful exciting frequency is (RPM x #cyls)/120 = hertz, thus 1000 RPM equals 66.66hz. The system will not resonate if F1 is 50hz or less (66 x 0.8). If this is the case with the GearedDrives system, then it is a nice solution to one possible problem.

However, that is true only of F1. F2 is somewhere further up the RPM range. It may lie within the operating range (bad) or it may be above the operating range (good). No modeling or telemetry equals no knowledge. Within the context of torsional vibration, total hours flown means nothing.

The only real downside to a well designed centrifugal clutch is loss of glide distance after an engine-out. Unless you also install a prop brake, you are stuck with a windmilling prop.

The V8 is starting to make a comeback for the higher powered 4 and 6 place experimentals after a bad rep for reliability the last few years. As some like Bud and Gary Spencer (LongEze Ford V8 direct drive), Robinson etc. are building some decent hours on their conversions and showing great speed and climb, more people are looking at the cost and performance available today. The turbine Lancairs are truly expensive to build and operate and I think many are looking at the LS-2, LS-6 and LS-7 type engines over the older Gen SBC. A properly turboed LS-7 would blow off a Walter turbine above 18,000 at a fraction of the fuel flow as Orenda demonstrated a few years back.

I'm very interested to see David Algie's LS powered Reno racer fly as well.

A good, proven redrive is part of the recipe for success.

The jury is still out on the cooling drag issue in my view. This is less of a point with 400-500 hp available from these engines and the easier integration of a slick radiator setup on the composite airframes.

Last edited:
I agree

rv6ejguy said:
The jury is still out on the cooling drag issue in my view. This is less of a point with 400-500 hp available from these engines and the easier integration of a slick radiator setup on the composite airframes.

And it seems the pusher guys are better set up with longer intake plenums than the tractor airplanes.

Frank

Ross,
<<Looks like they use a double tubular torsion shaft to handle TV on their drive. Do you see merit in this type of design?>>

Sounds like a garden-variety nested quill shaft. Torsional stiffness is a function of material modulus, shaft diameter, and shaft length. A longer tube is torsionally less stiff. Let's suppose you really need a longer shaft in your design to lower it's F1 frequency, but you can't increase the overall length of the assembly. Well, you can consider a nested quill shaft, a shaft inside a shaft. It can be the same length as the original shaft but a lot less stiff. You input power at one end of the inner shaft. The other end couples to the far end of the outer shaft. The outer shaft drives a gear (or whatever) at the end near the inner shaft input. You have a long shaft in a very short space.

There are also ordinary single shaft quills. Generally, it is a shaft designed with the minimum possible diameter and maximum length. It functions as a torsional spring.

Reliable springs require careful control of material and manufacturing. Heat treat is critical, as is detail design at the connecting ends. If you damage the surface of a highly loaded quill you should consider it a mark that says "break here".

Old idea, and works fine with proper engineering. I think a RR Merlin has a quill shaft in the gearbox.

I know several folks who built Dragonflies- VW powered. The kit looks like it is mostly a box of foam sheets that you have to shape/ glue/ glass together, and a set of plans.

The reports are that they are very efficient planes with minimal power (150 mph w/ 60 hp) but slow climbers at normal density altitudes around here.

re Chevy V-8: I doubt that any long throw auto V-8 conversion will last very long at high rpm under full loads. A short throw, big-bore might work, but would likely be excessively heavy. I believe the better high hp solution is probably a 3-rotor wankel, especially if turbocharged. 400-500 hp should be no problem at all, and they would be significantly more durable and reliable, not to mention, much lighter. IMHO, in the IO-360 range, the OEM Wankels are near equals in power:wt; but in larger apps (compared to I-540's+), the prepared Wankels really shine.

Last edited:
I think the Chevy is actually viable, considering that they are getting a reliable 400ish HP from them with car tunes, if you want a 300HP one for an RV 10 it should be pretty doable. As for competing with a turbine... that remains to be seen.

Are you in luck-----------

the4ork said:
i love those dragonfly's are those kits still available?

I have a Dragonfly project that is available. 90% done, only 90% left to do.

They are really great planes, but my wife in not interested in it, she wants the -10 done.

Contact me for more info.

Cell 530-417-1124, or you can PM or e-mail.

rtry9a said:
re Chevy V-8: I doubt that any long throw auto V-8 conversion will last very long at high rpm under full loads. A short throw, big-bore might work, but would likely be excessively heavy. I believe the better high hp solution is probably a 3-rotor wankel, especially if turbocharged. 400-500 hp should be no problem at all, and they would be significantly more durable and reliable, not to mention, much lighter. IMHO, in the IO-360 range, the OEM Wankels are near equals in power:wt; but in larger apps (compared to I-540's+), the prepared Wankels really shine.

Bud Warren has over 700 hours now on his 383 Chev and it is still going strong. Gary Spencer's 360 Ford has around 500 and several LS powered aircraft notably Robinson's have several hundred also on theirs. Not wearing out or failing.

These engines are not being run at high rpm- around 3800-4500 for takeoff and mid to low 3000s for cruise. No harder than a drive on the Autobahn or AutoStrada in Europe at 150-200 KPH-daily use over there.

The aluminum block/ heads available today make these engine more competitive in the weight department today.

The peripheral port 13B Wankels and turbocharged ones running high hp have not demonstrated long life in other applications. Even the Renesis has had checkered reliability and serious oil consumption problems in stock form. I believe that an almost stock 20B is a more suitable engine for RV10 class airframes. Wankels have serious heat concerns when combined with turbocharging, especially at high boost which is why you never saw them raced in that form except in showroom stock. Exhaust system and turbocharger reliability is a question mark at this time due to the high EGTs.

Street ported, running below 6000rpm with all the well known cooling and apex seal mods done and these are reliable for aviation use as proven by many to date.

Last edited:
Plane in video has off field landing

************************************************** ******************************
** Report created 10/19/2007 Record 1 **
************************************************** ******************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 901RC Make/Model: EXP Description: 350HP
Date: 10/18/2007 Time: 2251

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CAUGHT FIRE, LANDED OFF AIRPORT, MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX.

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:
# Pass: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: VFR

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: HOUSTON, TX (SW09) Entry date: 10/19/2007

God bless you alternative guys who want to take this kind of risk.
Are you considering taking risk when not going for certified aircraft? Alternative engine is as experimental as RV, although RV has been tested more so far by users. :(

Chev V8 sweet and sour

Like Yukon said God bless those who experiment and take the risk of test pilot. Despite aluminum heads and block, weight is an issue. However for the right airframe, like a single seat WWII fighter replica, pretty cool.

Despite the sticker HP Chevy advertises, you will not fly around at 6,000 engine RPM's and rated HP. Like a Lycoming you fly typically at 75% or less power but more than ever, with a Chevy V8 you'll need to operate well under 75% power to get any reliability or fuel econ.

To go down the freeway in a car takes, what, 35 hp to 90 hp? (depends on vehicle weight, drag and grade) Despite the +300 hp rating, these engines (LS1) are designed to see peak HP ratings only intermittently (as you wind out the gears, not for minutes continuously). The gear box/PSRU is another story. Obviously you can get along pretty good on say 50% of peek HP for these V8's. However that is less HP than the continuous or 75% HP a 540 Lyc can give which weighs less. Frankly a Lyc can fly 100% all day as long as CHT and oil temp are with in limits. A Chevy V8 would not last long at 100% power.

Fuel burn? No advantage with these big V8's. This is where I say, No free Lunch. Now there are some cool advantages of a big V8, sound being one.

Cost? Really no savings when all cost are added up. The promise of cheap flying is seductive but illusive. The promise of cheap high performance flying is just a fantasy.

Sound? Awwsome, but so is a big radial or RR Merlin. I can't afford any of them either, so I'm going to put a sound track of engine sounds on my iPod and play it back through the intercom. :D (got to figure a way to make the recorded engine sounds change with the throttle?) :D

(Sorry to repeat my opinion; however these threads come up time and again and new folks reading this may be distracted from building, spending time chasing a dream. For very few builders this is a good path. It takes a special person to make large deviations from the plans. For most sticking with the plans and a Lyc engine is the path of least resistance with known performance and economics. Not least of which, ease of building is assured with the Lyc. If you are a mad scientist type, you know who you are, alternatives can be great. Most knowledgeable experience alternative engine builder/owner/pilots say pretty much the same thing. You want to tinker, alternative engines are great. If you want to finish and go fly, get a Lycoming.)

Last edited:
600 HP IO360?

To go down the freeway in a car takes, what, 35 hp to 90 hp? (depends on vehicle weight, drag and grade) Despite the +300 hp rating, these engines (LS1) are designed to see peak HP ratings only intermittently (as you wind out the gears, not for minutes continuously). The gear box/PSRU is another story. Obviously you can get along pretty good on say 50% of peek HP for these V8's. However that is less HP than the continuous or 75% HP a 540 Lyc can give which weighs less. Frankly a Lyc can fly 100% all day as long as CHT and oil temp are with in limits. A Chevy V8 would not last long at 100% power.

I agree with George, automobile engine horsepower ratings have nothing to continuous operation. If you "hot rodded" a Lycoming or Continental by installing very efficient intake, exhaust, and cam timing you could get some very impressive horsepower, for a few minutes. Using the automotive standard, my IO360 at 5.9 liters 'should' make something around 600 horsepower. My Audi A4 has a 110 cubic inch engine and is rated at 180 horsepower (100 horsepower per liter.) But "normal cruise power" is 14 percent.

For a little insight into auto engine conversions look at marine installations. In a boat they tend to run at higher power settings much of the time. As a result, they have wear issues and failures. The plus in a boat is a simple source of cooling, not available in an airplane.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Naw you guys, come on. Don't speculate, educate yourselves. Become a member of SAE, buy the test papers for whatever engine you want to know about and see that modern engines are usually put through a series of dynos tests WOT, power peak rpm of at least 400 hours and some up to 1200 hours. Transmission and shifting tests may go up to 1600 hours WOT from torque to power peak rpm continuously. The often quoted 15 to 30 hp example is lame and illogical.

It just ain't true today anymore what you say. Get the facts, don't work on feelings. I just dismantled my EG33D with an estimated 2100 hours on it. No measurable wear on bearings, crank, cams, valve stems, guides, bores, pistons, ring lands etc. Not even .0001.

It is true that we won't cruise at power peak rpm WOT on any aircraft engine at SL for its whole life. As a professional custom engine builder for 30 years, it is my view that most modern auto engines will last just fine at 75% and say 4000-4500 rpm.

It is true that best fuel specifics are not achieved at super high rpm so we try to gear the engine to operate somewhere around torque peak or below for a decent compromise.

So when you show me some facts about why auto engines don't last under typical aviation conditions, I'll listen. I just don't see major wear or sudden failures on the hundreds of Subaru engines flying with probably in excess of 1/4 million flight hours. Maybe you don't realize the numbers of auto engines flying. Just between Don Parnham's conversions, RAF's and Groen's alone, we are talking over 1000 Subarus. They are working just fine, not throwing rods, breaking cranks or wearing out rings. There are many of these going over 1000 hours being run between 4500-5500 rpm continuously.

That being said, ANY reciprocating engine can fail and do and people die from this every year. I can think of a couple Conti and Lycoming failures in the last 4-5 years which killed people. Minimize your risks, give yourselves some options when you plan your flights.

And no, a Lycoming 360 won't even last a few minutes at 600hp. It is not designed for this and does not rev high enough to even achieve this figure naturally aspirated. It would simply melt down anyway without ADI and spray bar water as it does not have the fin area required to dissipate the heat generated at this hp level. The Conti twin turbo 550 I worked on at Reno this year is hard pressed to make this power at 3200 rpm and 60 inches with reworked heads and cam- and last 8 minutes even with ADI and spray bar water.

Last edited:
I hear you all good points

Become a member of SAE, buy the test papers for whatever engine you want to know about and see that modern engines are usually put through a series of dynos tests WOT, power peak rpm of at least 400 hours and some up to 1200 hours.
I have a lot of respect for SAE and have a PE license. I have read many SAE reports and test, but never on an auto engine. I know SAE is instrumental in making HP specs more standardized. However I am not sure about reliability and longevity standard test. No one advertises an X mile engine. 400 hours I can believe that. I know in my parents or grandparents days if you got 100,000 miles out of your car, it was good. Now we expect twice that or more out of our cars.

It just ain't true today anymore what you say. Get the facts, don't work on feelings. I just dismantled my EG33D with an estimated 2100 hours on it. No measurable wear on bearings, crank, cams, valve stems, guides, bores, pistons, ring lands etc. Not even .0001.
That is impressive. I find that incredible and a testament to not only the desgin but you skill in installation, operation and maintence. I love Subies. I had a 1982 4 door GL Subaru for 12 years. I got it used in 1984. I still regret trading it in. How you even you measure one TEN thousands of an inch is amazing; let's call it zero wear. I just have one question, WHY THE HECK DID YOU TEAR IT DOWN? :D So with 0.0001 wear in 2100 hours, and say max wear is 0.005, TBO should be 10,500 hours! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

It is true that we won't cruise at power peak rpm WOT on any aircraft engine at SL for its whole life. As a professional custom engine builder for 30 years, it is my view that most modern auto engines will last just fine at 75% and say 4000-4500 rpm.
Probably true, but talking to a guy who works For GM on their test track, they blow motors all the time when they intentionally abuse them. No man made thing is perfect or indestructible.

It is true that best fuel specifics are not achieved at super high rpm so we try to gear the engine to operate somewhere around torque peak or below for a decent compromise.
Right on.

I just don't see major wear or sudden failures on the hundreds of Subaru engines flying with probably in excess of 1/4 million flight hours. Maybe you don't realize the numbers of auto engines flying.
I do understand and the fleet has been growing. I think you are mixing failure with wear. Not with standing your 2100 hours as good as new, its wear that I am talking about.

Just between Don Parnham's conversions, RAF's and Groen's alone, we are talking over 1000 Subaru's. They are working just fine, not throwing rods, breaking cranks or wearing out rings. There are many of these going over 1000 hours being run between 4500-5500 rpm continuously.
I think you are sensitive about possible catastrophic failure. I am not saying that. In fact with a "transmission" properly designed to isolate the crank from harmonics a car engine in a car or plane should be what we all expect, reliable.

That being said, ANY reciprocating engine can fail and do and people die from this every year. I can think of a couple Conti and Lycoming failures in the last 4-5 years which killed people. Minimize your risks, give yourselves some options when you plan your flights.
That is true. However since data is hard to come by and statistics impossible to calculate or draw conclusions. I find most most alternative engine loss of power/failures/issues have more to do with anything but the CORE ENGINE mechanics (like electronics or belts). Also in general more people run out of fuel by a huge factor over cranks, rods or valve trains failure. Same with Lycs, engines "blowing up real good" are rare. However the Lyc does have the advantage of FARM TRACTOR technology for its ancillary systems, mechanical carb, FI, mags, fuel pump and so on. Alt engines usually have belts, water pumps and need electonics to work. All these can be reliable but just from a statistcal stand point, "If it ain't there to fail it can't fail".

And no, a Lycoming 360 won't even last a few minutes at 600hp. It is not designed for this and does not rev high enough to even achieve this figure naturally aspirated. It would simply melt down anyway without ADI and spray bar water as it does not have the fin area required to dissipate the heat generated at this hp level. The Cont twin turbo 550 I worked on at Reno this year is hard pressed to make this power at 3200 rpm and 60 inches with reworked heads and cam- and last 8 minutes even with ADI and spray bar water.
I hear you, but your are trying to compare apples and oranges. They are both round and sweet, but some people like apple juice and others oranges.

To make HP you need either displacement and/or RPM. The LYC is a 4 cylinder with twice to displacement per BORE than most car engines. The Lyc is an aircraft specific design, air-cooled engine, directly driving a prop at relatively LOW RPM, a torque motor if you will.

There is no way the 360 Lyc can ever make 600 HP EVER, since its Red line RPM is 2,700 rpm's. Over 10% of 2,700 rpm Lyc recommends a tear down. Now I know many racers run +3,200 rpm. That rpm limit does not make a Lyc bad, since over 2,700 rpm prop efficiency goes down. It is just a special purpose direct drive, low RPM aircraft engine.

It's like comparing a COX 0.049 cu-in model airplane engine that turns 15,000 rpm to a ships diesel engine, max turns 102 rpm and 109,000 hp! LINK They both are good and neither can do the job of the other. The application is different. Auto engines are designed or optimized for cars. Airplane engines are optimized for planes. That is a fair statement. I will grant you the auto-engine makes a better plane engine than a plane engine makes a car engine. However the above diesel and 0.278 lbs per hp per hour is good, but only for the largest ships on the sea.

Your points are well taken, each engine is designed to operate for specific applications at specific limits and duty. A Continental at 60 inch boost :eek:, will not last. Is that a surprise? However at Reno, what engine's where in the top and winning planes? Lyc? Cont? Falcon? Any car engines in there? If I wanted more power I would get a TIGO-541-D1B or IO-720 (8-cyl) Lyc. 400-450 hp out the box ain't bad. Just more displacement or RPM or both. Still direct dirve and air-cooled, simple and lighter. With a little tweak reliable +500 HP is possible (I am gussing).

Last edited:
Merely responding to John's post about the 600hp O-360.

I'm fishing for what the skeptics always loosely state as "not taking it". Does this mean a rod out through the side or just bagged out rings in 100 hours? Nobody here ever answers the questions, they just rehash the same misinformation with nary a single fact in evidence.

Again, show me that evidence of high wear rates caused by high rpm or rods outside the case or whatever the allegations are. Plenty of Egg Subes now with 500+ hours, still zero oil consumption, still perfect compression by all accounts I've read. Why should the wear rates be so high? Many of Don Parnham's Sube gyro engines used for training have gone well over 1000 hours along with his drives- over 500 drives with zero failures over 17 years.

Usually when piston engines start to wear, oil consumption goes up, compression goes down and leakdown goes up. Just ain't happening despite the naysayers beliefs. With the superior close tolerances and even temperature control of liquid cooled engines, coupled with far superior lubrication qualities of synthetic oils, wear is very low.

Piston speed and bearing surface speeds are similar (slightly higher) to aircraft engines because of the shorter strokes and smaller crank journals.

SAE is a huge organization these days heavily involved in aerospace industries as well as automotive and numerous other fields. Take a look at their website. This is where development engineers usually publish their papers on new designs, validation and testing methods and results. It is THE source for information on new automotive engine designs and technology.

George, you remain skeptical. Some things are not freely available on the net like Wiki, SAE engine test and development papers are one of them. Gonna have to spend some money to get the straight scoop.

On occasion, engineers are allowed to release details to print or internet journals. Alternative Engines Vols. 1 and 2 have papers from GM powertrain and Chrysler engineers. One of the Sube sites has a copy of the SAE paper on the EJ engine development for example. The info is there should you truly wish to become educated on what modern auto engines are capable of. This is 2007 now, not 1967. Much has changed. :)

Last edited:
Boats do it...

There are a number of upgrades for auto engines that allow them to run at continuous high power settings. Just ask anyone who has ever rebuilt a marine engine. Some of the auto engines (Chevy, for example) can interchange parts with their marine counterparts. Heck, you can even build up a pair of counter rotating V-8's, if you want.

I, for one, encourage this type of experimentation. Remember, it wasn?t long ago that RV?s were considered basement built death traps.

Negative comments and debate is GOOD

I, for one, encourage this type of experimentation. Remember, it wasn’t long ago that RV’s were considered basement built death traps.
Ha ha ha ha, really? Homebuilts have been around since the 1920's with the Pietenpol Air Camper (and still are). I guess some people think they are still basement built death traps. The Pietenpol, especially the first ones used model-A Ford car engines, which is still the engine favored amongst Pietenpol "purists", are good planes. They are slow low performance planes and the problem gets into high performance. I think auto engines make sense but the performance is not going to be the same. Even a V8 is a blunt thing to hang on the front of a plane, aerodynamic wise, not to mention radiators. In the 1960's BH Pietenpol began to favor converted engines from the Chevy Corvair. (ref wikipedia).

To be fair when Van came out with the RV-3, it was well respected. VanGrunsven won “Best Aerodynamic Detailing” at the 1972 EAA Convention in Oshkosh in 1972 with the public debut of the RV-3. (ref Wikipedia) It followed a long line of other similar proven planes like the Thorpe T-18 and Midget mustang. However your point is experimentation is good, fun and should be encouraged. I agree.

You know, I know and Ross knows the score, but new people may be enticed by a panacea of promises that might not come to fruition for them for many reasons. The NO FREE LUNCH rule applies. If it sounds too good to be true..... Know what you are getting into. Alternative engines are just that, ALTERNATIVES, no better or worse; however that depends on your goals. If experimentation is a goal, the alternative engine is the way to go. If flying is the goal and getting into the air ASAP, stick to the plans.

My negative converse these debates is not anti-alternative engine or meant to stifle experimentation, only educate new-bees to research and get the facts. :D It's very possible a New-bee will make the next breakthrough in airplanes and engines, teaching us all a thing or three.

The point is the subject is WAY MORE than how rock solid and cool the core of the engine is. Like everything in aircraft design there are interrelated trade-offs and one thing can affect everything. It's the total package not one thing out of context. The context is propelling a plane through the air with least weight, drag, max performance, min cost to buy, ease of installation, maintence and fuel econ. There are trade offs and it depends on the trade offs you want to make. I never said alternative engines are dangerous, however just by going in a path less travelled or making a major mod to an existing airframe the designer did not envision, you may be exposed to discovered risk. It's common sense. With a RV and Lyc the "experimentation" has been done. It's a know quantity. That appeals to some, others not so much.

Last edited:
When I win the lottery...

...My auto conversion will be a Chev 500+ cu. in. big block, aluminum block and heads, 1 carburetor, magneto ignition. I'll run it direct drive (published data says close to 300HP @2750 RPM). Isolating the crank from the prop? Maybe I'll just bolt up a non-lockup torque converter in a salvaged Aluminum Powerglide bellhousing, and put an SAE prop flange and a big ol' thrust bearing on other end. 2 for the price of one new O-320. :D

Bud's Wheeler Express went down last Thursday

I just noticed that you guys were discussing Bud Warren's geared reduction unit. I thought you might be interested in knowing that the demo plane crashed last Thursday on the way to our EAA chapter meeting to make a presentation about auto conversions.

He and two passengers got out of the plane without injury but the plane burned and was a total loss. From what I heard, he noticed high oil temps on climb out in time to make the crash survivable, but other than that we don't know the cause of the failure. In any case, I would think it might affect the availability of the PSRU in the short term.

I just noticed that you guys were discussing Bud Warren's geared reduction unit. I thought you might be interested in knowing that the demo plane crashed last Thursday on the way to our EAA chapter meeting to make a presentation about auto conversions.

He and two passengers got out of the plane without injury but the plane burned and was a total loss. From what I heard, he noticed high oil temps on climb out in time to make the crash survivable, but other than that we don't know the cause of the failure. In any case, I would think it might affect the availability of the PSRU in the short term.

Yes, shame to see Bud down but glad everyone was ok. I'll await the investigation results before saying anything.

One thing I will say, once a conversion accumulates 250 hours, I'm interested. At 500, I'm thinking pretty good, at 1000 I'm impressed, at 2000 I'm sold.

One offs are a drop in the bucket as far as proven flight time goes of the full system package but they may mean something as far as the core engine or redrive type reliability goes cumulatively. I said to one other Subaru enthusiast who was reading a bit more into his perfect reliability at 230 hours than I thought was valid, that his 230 hours and my 200 hours and someone elses 340 hours were small blips and relatively meaningless in the big scheme. When we all get 1000 or 2000 hours, then we can crow about it more.

I do see 1/4 million Sube flight hours with relatively few core failures as validation of the basic suitability of these engines for aviation use. Drives, fuel and cooling system designs are less well validated to date but making progress as information is shared. There are some good and bad designs out there flying. We'll learn from the failures and improve the designs.

I hope Bud continues to develop and fly his parts.:)

Last edited:
What a GREAT IDEA!!!!

...My auto conversion will be a Chev 500+ cu. in. big block, aluminum block and heads, 1 carburetor, magneto ignition. I'll run it direct drive (published data says close to 300HP @2750 RPM). Isolating the crank from the prop? Maybe I'll just bolt up a non-lockup torque converter in a salvaged Aluminum Powerglide bellhousing, and put an SAE prop flange and a big ol' thrust bearing on other end. 2 for the price of one new O-320. :D
That is cool using the power glide and torque converter, YEA! I like that. Hydraulic coupling is awesome. The power glide is bullet proof.

Stupid questions:

Will you use the gearing two fwd gears in flight (takeoff/climb & cruise)?
(you will need at least one gear ratio other than 1:1 right)

Will the transmission case or tail-housing take prop loads?

The power glide will give a nice aerodynamic nose but how about CG and weight? (long assembly for a plane)

"put an SAE prop flange and a big ol' thrust bearing on other end"
(Don't forget about gyroscopic loads which are large.)

Have you considered a separate prop hub/bearing supported by airframe driven with a short drive shaft? (ie no load on transmission)

Has any one done this before?

Post pictures, please. George

PS sorry to hear about the Wheeler but no injuries makes me happy. Hope they can figure out what went wrong to improve the breed.

Last edited:
Actually George, Home-builts have been around since 1903.
Ever heard of the Wright Flyer?

Mel strikes again, smarty

Actually George, Home-builts have been around since 1903.
Ever heard of the Wright Flyer?
Mel ha-ha, you keep me honest. I stand corrected sir. :D

Here are short articles of the Wheeler:
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou071018_tj_planecrash.1834a7fe1.html (raw video)
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5714798 :(

(looks like he had what appears to be open flat field but unfortunately caught a fence. He and his passengers walked away so in my book he did an outstanding job.)

Last edited:
That is cool using the power glide and torque converter, YEA! I like that. Hydraulic coupling is awesome. The power glide is bullet proof.

Stupid questions:

Will you use the gearing two fwd gears in flight (takeoff/climb & cruise)?
(you will need at least one gear ratio other than 1:1 right)

no transmission, I just used PG for example for a place to rob a stout torque converter. Would just use the bellhousing and the torque converter. Think of it as a giant Corvair conversion.

With big enough displacement, should be able to get a decent O-540 replacement. 502 Chevy's are rated ~600 HP at 5000+ RPM. HP curve shows ~ 300 HP available at more reasonable prop speeds (2750 RPM). Subtract say 10-20% for using a carb instead of the auto FI, and losses in the hyd. coupling. hopefully still get around 250 HP.

Will the transmission case or tail-housing take prop loads?

probably have to close off the "nose" end of the bellhousing with a bolted plate, to take the prop loads. No tail housing - it wouldn't take those kind of loads anyway.

The power glide will give a nice aerodynamic nose but how about CG and weight? (long assembly for a plane)

again, no transmission. Just imagine the bellhousing, torque converter bolted to the flywheel, close off the end of the bellhousing opposite the flywheel with a stiff plate, mount the bearing(s) to the plate. Short splined shaft transfers torque only from torque converter to prop flange. React all thrust and gyroscopic loads in the plate/bellhousing.

Have you considered a separate prop hub/bearing supported by airframe driven with a short drive shaft? (ie no load on transmission)

Nah..that puts the hub/bearing cantilevered way out on the end of the mount structure. I'm thinking a very short engine block/bellhousing/bearing assembly. Good point though, a torque converter won't take ANY kind of load other than torque - I think thrust load would destroy it in a second.

Has any one done this before?

Never heard of it, but I have seen pics of an ultralight using a complete drivetrain from a motorcycle. Prop mounted on output shaft and capable of "shifting" gears. :eek:

Post pictures, please. George

5758511632206026jx9.jpg

5758511432206025hn5.jpg

can I have a Ford?:cool:

619442798an5jcdc6100602cs6.jpg

Back