What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twenty Four Hours at Oshkosh

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Three after hours after flying in to Oshkosh for the first time, I realized that I needed to make a fundamental change in my plans for the visit. I only had 24 hours ? and I wasn?t going to ?see? the show ? it?s just not possible! So what I was going to was pick out vignettes ? and meet (in person) as many of the people that I have met here on the Net in person. And maybe pick up a few aviation ?trinkets and beads? at the Fly Market along the way?.

My arrival to Oshkosh was a huge non-event. After years of reading how challenging the arrival could be, I had memorized the procedures and rehearsed them in my mind many times. I didn?t want to be the guy that everyone talked about (?Can you believe what that guy did over Ripon!!??), so I was prepared! The flight from Houston (with a stop in Moberly, MO for fuel) was smooth at 7.5K with no weather of note. Crossing Madison I began my let-down, still trying to listen to the new ATIS that the NOTAM talked about. I had been trying to pick it up earlier, but only heard a Center controller, and hoped it would come in closer to OSH. No such luck! About 20 out from Ripon, I gave up on the ATIS, got down to altitude, and tuned in FISK approach. I?ve heard more radio traffic on Houston Approach in the middle of the night! Hmmm?..either this is going to be easy, or I am totally missing something!

I looked for an airplane to follow from Ripon to Fisk, but couldn?t find one, so I just proceeded up the tracks. About halfway there, a twin passed over me at the faster altitude, and Fisk ID?ed and turned him in to a base for 36 - and I was next. A quick change from 36L to 36R while I was on final, then the instruction to land long and roll off the end, and I was down. Of course, I couldn?t find my ?HBP? sign, but a shout to the flagman and I was on my way to the vast sea of RV?s. No sooner had my prop stopped than Danny King appeared in front of the wing, welcoming me to Wisconsin. Danny was followed by quite a few more, and it was about an hour before I could pull out the cell phone and give a call to Louise to let her know I?d arrived. (She?d had her own day of flying from Virginia to southern Indiana for a non-aviation convention ? and had much worse weather to deal with?) So here I was, with the Val tied down on Wisconsin soil!

I accomplished my new primary goal of meeting folks so well that I will never remember all the names, and won?t even attempt a partial list here. Suffice to say that I am so happy to be a part of such a vibrant, helpful, friendly and growing community. I could hardly take a step without seeing an RV shirt or cap, and everyone had a story to tell of their trip, or their project, or simply how much the RV community has become a part of their lives. Just great!

The RV BBQ was simply unbelievable. Since I really had not expected to make it to OSH at all, I had forgotten to read exactly where in Camp Schoeller it was located, but I recalled it was out towards the highway, and once I got close, the mass of humanity was hard to miss! Bob and the volunteers put on a heck of an event, and the generosity of the companies that support our community was unbelievable! I was shocked to hear my name called during the door prizes and found out that instead of a hat or shirt I?d won a discount on a Whirlwind Prop! (That will probably be up for sale by the way?.I?m to busy flying to change props?) The rain that fell during the BBQ definitely brought everyone closer together ? under the tents, to stay dry! But it was brief and the event was wonderful.

I do love the Fly Market for some reason ? yeah, there are a lot of junk tools and parts that need to be examined very carefully, but where else can you find a digital micrometer for $20? And I always buy a few packs of Adel clamps in various sizes?..And hey, I?d been looking for some clip-on sunglasses to keep in the plane, for when I arrive at the airport and the good glasses are somewhere else. Here they are, 2 pair for $15! I?d a lot rather dump a hundred bucks at the Fly Market than in Vegas?but that?s just me!

All I can say about the big vendor display buildings is?there sure are a lot of glass panels out there! Man, every other booth seemed to have a new EFIS, engine monitor, or digital instrument! It will be interesting to see how many of these companies actually sell enough units to survive ? but I am pretty sure that those who do will have the most remarkable products. I spent allowance money on one of the new ICOM A-210?s when I found that it will take only 30 seconds to install in the Val ? it will slide right in to the A-200 rack already there! A stop at the EAA booth fro some aviation-themed Hawaiian shirts exhausted the money supply, and I only had one more stop top make before leaving the show ? Van?s tent.

I enjoyed finally seeing the RV-12 in person, and while I am still not sure I have an opinion on the whole LSA concept, I thought it was a pretty reasonable entry into the field. I finally got the chance to shake the hand of The Man himself ? I just had to tell Van how much I enjoy my -8 ? and also got to greet a few of the other folks I?ve talked with on the phone. Glad I didn?t need to order anything from the factory this week ? I doubt that anyone was left in Oregon. I also issued Ken Scott a challenge ? if he can send me a picture of one of those little Bike Friday?s nestled in the rear baggage compartment of an -8, I?ll order one!

A little after noon, the occasional showers had let up and radar showed a good route to Minnesota, me next destination, so I figured it was time to get out of town. The departure briefing was quick, and after a short struggle with my tie-down stakes, I climbed into the cockpit and watched a guy on a scooter magically appear at my wingtip. Once again, I was prepared for anything ? even a long hold in line ? yet I got handed from one flagman to the next, and then to the guy at the edge of the runway ? Number one for Taxi and departure ? and then cleared for Take-off! Wow, is this service or what? It was easier than a typical towered airport departure!

I headed straight out at 500 feet for 5 miles per the procedure and then swung around the Fisk/Ripon area as I headed west. A line of showers about 25 miles west of Oshkosh was easy to skirt, and I was on top with the XM keeping me clear for the 1:15 flight to the Twin Cities. Piece of Cake.

My first ever flight into Oshkosh! The only thing I could have asked for was a week to spend between the arrival and departure, instead of only 24 hours?but that will come in the future. I?m sitting in Minnesota for a few days, then will head back down towards Houston ? looks like it?s raining cats and dogs down there, and this isn?t such a bad place to be!

I hope to see everyone at LOE in a few months.

Sorry Paul I didn't get to meet you and your beautiful RV-8, I know our paths will cross. Can't wait to see your -8 in person!

Adam Silverstein

Ironflight said:
I accomplished my new primary goal of meeting folks so well that I will never remember all the names, and won?t even attempt a partial list here. Suffice to say that I am so happy to be a part of such a vibrant, helpful, friendly and growing community.

(Snipped)

I was shocked to hear my name called during the door prizes and found out that instead of a hat or shirt I?d won a discount on a Whirlwind Prop! (That will probably be up for sale by the way?.I?m to busy flying to change props?)
Paul, it sure was great to finally meet you (and about two dozen other great RV folks whom I stumbled across at Oshkosh. It sure is fun looking at someone's nametag and being able to say, "Hi there! I know you from the Vans Air Force site!"

So, Paul, you wanna sell that Whirlwind discount? :D I might be interested. You can PM me at your leisure.

I too had the same feeling of great accomplishment when I landed at OSH for the 1st time. The next time is even better. Plan on 4-5 days next year. You miss alot when you only stay a day.

Arrive on Sunday before AirVenture opens...

Paul,

If you want the full effect of arriving at OSH with lots of traffic, plan your arrival on the Sunday before the show opens on Monday next year. I have flown my RV-9A into OSH in 2005 and 2006, both times on Sunday. I camped out there both times. I stayed four days the first time and three days on the second trip.

As for the line of airplanes from Ripon to Fisk, show up Sunday before 4 PM and you will have a good chance to see some. I hear it is really bad in the mid-morning to 2 PM time frame. I passed Ripon after 7 PM on the first trip in 2005. The details of that trip and arrival are on my web page at this address: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a151.htm

Like you, I had people coming up to me as I was unpacking the tent who had followed my building and flight test exploits on my web site.

The arrival in 2006 was earlier in the day and we missed the big holding patterns after an arrival crash on the field. The Fisk controller was still plenty busy with airplanes as we arrived that time. I have full videos with sound of the 2006 arrival. You will find the links to those on my home page.

Plan on coming early next year. Then you can kick back and enjoy everything you wish to see. Bring a tent, air mattress, and folding chair to get the full experience. "THE" Doug Reeves was camped in the row behind me in 2006. Arriving on Sunday usually gets a camping spot close the shower house. Arriving on Saturday gets you a long walk from the back rows to the showers. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a219.htm#osh2006

I did not get to make the journey to the 2007 event. Maybe we can all get together for the 2008 AirVenture.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A - - N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

Back