What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diesel motor in an RV7

rv7_for_me

I'm New Here
Anyone know of anyone who has put one of the newer Diesel motors in an RV7 .... if not an RV7 any other RV?

Thanks

rv7_for_me said:
Anyone know of anyone who has put one of the newer Diesel motors in an RV7 .... if not an RV7 any other RV?

Thanks

You know of a newer diesel that's actually available for purchase?

rv6ejguy said:
Torque is pretty flat with 175hp at 2000-2600rpm. QUOTE]

this engine is actually very similar to the latest VW diesels (I-4, piezo, vari-vane turbo, etc) except for the aluminum. these would be easier to get but you'd still face same installation issues.

according to the info:
-- it makes 175hp at 3600 rpm (would need a PSRU)
-- won't be available until 2006.
-- inline-4 (would need to mount upside down to get crank aligned w/prop)
-- no mention of plans for US import

challenges:
-- brand new engine...would Toyota sell crate motors?
-- engineering a PSRU and FWF will take years and $$$
-- props & diesels are VERY difficult to match

PJSeipel said:
You know of a newer diesel that's actually available for purchase?

I don't see anything than has a reasonable weight for the 160-180hp range out there. With slightly increased boost, it would appear that these engines could develop the required hp at 2700-3000 rpm so no redrive would be needed. You just couldn't afford the extra weight of a redrive anyway. Would likely need a thrust bearing/ extension of some sort for the prop loads but this would only be 10-15 lbs.

Most inlines would have to be inverted or use a belt drive to retain a proper thrust line. You can bet that Toyota will not sell crate motors so you might have to go to a wrecker in Europe for one of these.

Yes, LOTS of engineering to go into something like this to make it viable, probably beyond the means of most tinkerers.

Back