What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind 200RV and American Propeller

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I just got off the phone with Kevin at American Propeller. I think getting a reputable, independant prop shop on board might be the best thing that Whirlwind has done.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll go with a Hartzell or the 200RV, but either way talking to a professional that sells and services Hartzell, MT, AeroComposites, and Whirlwind will REALLY help me make an informed decision. If anyone else is on the fence too, I highly recommend calling Kevin before making a decision.

BTW-It seems like American Prop's. prices are pretty good too. By the time you include not having to buy a spinner, etc. The WW 200RV is less than $1000 more than the Hartzell.

Regards,

Good Points

All the above is true. I just got word from Kevin that my new WW220RV has been ordered and is due toward the end of August. American Propeller has been extremely helpful with this and the prop governor order. With the weight difference of the WW vs the Hartzell and a lighter battery and lighter governor from PCU, I will be able to change from a fixed pitch to a constant speed for about 29 to 30 lbs. weight gain. Acceptable for me.
By the time you add in the savings from the group buy on the PCU5000 the cost difference is only about $700.00 dollars.

WW cannot be beat!

After owning three Hartzell, one McCauley and one Whirlwind, I know that the props on my next RV-8 and my RV-10 will be Whirlwind products. Many will point to recent "issues", but I have witnessed "issues", sevices bullitens and airworthiness directives with every constant speed propeller manufactuered. When my schedule allows, I will detail my recent experiences with the management and staff of Titan Aircraft, the owners of the aviation branch of Whirlwind Propeller. Briefly, from the owner John, to the management, Bill to all of the staff, THEY UNDERSTAND AND CARE! These guys are customer service! Bill and Greg have an attitude that safety is first and formost and that production can be achieved without the sacrifice of safety. With this in mind, I personally do not believe you can find better CS props for RVs. The 151 and 200RV are a balance of performance and art.

In a perfect world, I would like to work for Titan. If I make it to Oshkosh, I will park my butt at their tent and work for free. If you gotta work, you might as well work at a place like Titan. Good guys. More to come.

Last edited:
You're making me feel good...

That kind of post just confirms what my reading and talking with them taught me.

Whirlwind all the way

WW is everything Robbie said and more. I purchased the 200RV from the company when it was in California. Probably one of the earlier ones.

I have outlined some of the issues in the past. They have gotten all of the issues worked out. The company is extremely responsive and are dedicated to producing a high quality product with superior performance. They have done a great job.

The performance is fantastic. The prop is also incredibly smooth. You cannot go wrong with this prop. The smoothness alone is worth the extra few hundred bucks.

Some thoughts on Whirlwind. I have almost 500hrs on my 200RV. I have definitely had some problems in the past with it (cracked brackets, etc), but I'm confident all the problems have been solved and I'm happy that I have it. It is definitely smooth and light. I was treated really well by Jim Rust at Whirlwind Propellers in CA and ever since Whirlwind Aviation in Ohio took over the operation I have been treated really well there too, especially by Greg Andersen. As a matter of fact I was recently able to tour the factory in Austinburg OH. When I landed at the local airport and called Greg, he dropped everything he was doing and came out to the airport. He gave me a tour of the factory and showed me every aspect of the propeller building process. I walked away with a much more confident feeling about the propeller and the company and I truely feel they are here to stay. For those that didn't know, they are part of the larger Titan aircraft (both companies co-located in the same building) and Titan seems to be real solid. I think they have a real winner on their hands with their T-51 Mustang. Anyway, just my .02 cents.

Back