What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-657 Step

ge9a

Well Known Member
Are people generally happy that they installed the optional steps on their plane, or do you feel they are unnecessary? I am curious before I drill the holes!

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I installed them and I can't imagine not having them for myself - and it would be almost impossible for my girlfriend to step up onto the wing without them. My opinion is that they are not optional.

To step or not to step?

I am sure you realize that this could go under the "endless debates" category. Just last week at a fly-in several builders told me to use them just for their passengers sake. It also might save someone from trying to use the flap for a step. But some folks think they are ugly and produce a little drag. I went ahead and ordered them just based on my own personal experience getting rides in an -A model.

I have dreams of finishing my plane while my aging mother is still alive. She's 84. I don't know how I'll get her in the plane, but I know I won't be able to for sure without a step.

Meanwhile, I'm now 51 and I intend to fly the thing for quite awhile. I'm guessing I'll need it eventually.

If other people think it's ugly, that's OK with me. I would just invite them to go away and not look. And forget about a ride. :D

Step installation on a QB

OK, I'm convinced, the steps are worth it (I figured that was the case, but want other opinions than my own). However, I have a QB, and the F-623 (corner ribs) and F-725 (baggage ribs) are not modified to accept the steps, and it looks like it could difficult to modify them in place. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for installing the steps on a QB, and modifying the above-mentioned fuse parts?

Thanks.

Quick build

what I did was use a small unibit and and 12 inch extention and make the starter holes using the small hole they have on the quickbuild (outside)
and cut out the shape from the drawing and used it as a templet and sharpie
as a idea of the odd shape hole because the angle of the fuse at that location just make sure you keep it staight on the inside rib , eyeball it really good when you get to there.. make the 2nd hole, then move to the 3/4 unibit
then I found a large unibit and a dial caliper (It was larger on the big end than the hole I needed so i marked the large unibit at the size smaller than I needed and made the outside hole , I disasembled the extention and put the
bit on the inside ( I think I had to do that due to the length, and enlarged
the inside rib hole.. same sized at the outside hole.. then I used a sanding disk to enlarge it to the proper size.. don't use all the templet or the hole will
have a gap.. on one of the corners.. sand it to fit and it will be really tight , keep in mind you will need a little larger hole than the pipe because of the
weld were the pipe meets the flat side doesn't take much though.. then install the blocks and rivet.. keep it flush to the third rib.. don't forget to
bend or cut the bottom aft corner off were the fuse turns down..
that worked for me.. good luck..

Danny..

It's not hard at all to install them in a QB. Use the steel blind rivets. They hold just fine. I also cut the lower aft corner off.

Roberta

Steps are required!

The RV-9A stands taller than the other 2-seaters from Van's. In my opinion, the steps are not optional. Now that I have been working on my airplane at the airport with the wings on for over a month, the steps are required!

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
Two flights completed.
www.n2prise.org

cutting the holes

The holes size and location are not that critical. Keep in mind that they don't do anything for the structure of the step and will be covered up in the end.
The step is supported by the rivits and the uhmw block and bolts. Don't make them any bigger then needed, but don't worry if they are not perfect.

I bent the plate of the step on the lower aft corner to make it better conform to the fuse and then rounded that corner a little. It just looks better that way I think.

Kent

Back