What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin Heldhand at Oshkosh???

Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
Just some rumor and spectulation, but Garmin did sign on some deal with XM weather and already has weather capabilities to some of the marine GPS's. So, anybody know of anything coming at Oshkosh?

Last edited:
Scott DellAngelo said:
... I really like the looks of the 296 and even though up until a couple weeks ago I planned a GNS430, the more I look around at the operators manual and stuff on the 296 the GPS features seem better to me than the 430 (just that darn legal crap for IFR that spoils some of it). ...
Scott
#90598 wiring
N598SD
Scott,
I am not an expert on the FARs but I think the only "Legal" thing the 430 provides relative to required instrumentation for IFR (as opposed to the 296) is the radio.
You can obviously get a radio elsewhere, so go for the 296.
-mike

mlw450802 said:
Scott,
I am not an expert on the FARs but I think the only "Legal" thing the 430 provides relative to required instrumentation for IFR (as opposed to the 296) is the radio.
-mike

You can never use a handheld GPS as your primary means of IFR navigation. You can only be "/G" with an IFR approved panel-mount GPS like the 430, 530, etc. The radio is irrelevant. As far as I'm aware, a handheld radio is legal (albeit maybe not the best quality) for any operation.

Last edited:
You might want to double check this response ...

mlw450802 said:
Scott,
-mike
I think you will find a whole bunch of acronyms associated with the "legality" of the GPS section of the 430/530 for filing and flying IFR.

Think of it this way, the FAA REALLY wants you to be where you and they think you are and should be so you don't hit a 747 full of people in the clouds. T0 attempt to do this they have certain specifications on functioanlity, reliability and (I suspect) useability for the navigational systems in our **panel** ... including GPS.

James

Brian130 said:
You can never use a handheld GPS as your primary means of IFR navigation. You can only be "/G" with an IFR approved panel-mount GPS like the 430, 530, etc. The radio is irrelevant. As far as I'm aware, a handheld radio is legal (albeit maybe not the best quality) for any operation.
Again, as I said, I am no expert on the FARs for required instrumentation for IFR flight. But I am quite certain that a gps is not part of the requirement.
The radios ARE(handhelds or panel mount)! These include nav, com and most likely glideslope and localizer.
These radio functions are available independently from the 430. My point was that the only thing the 430 has that are legally required for IFR instrumentation are the radios, not that you have to use it (the 430)for that function.
Given that, the 296 is a really complete and capable GPS for quite a bit less than the 430 and will definitely assist anyone with navigation chores. Your radios will provide the assurance of communication and position required by the FAR.

-Mike

Ifr Gps?

mlw450802 said:
Your radios will provide the assurance of communication and position required by the FAR.-Mike
I agree as long as you have the Com and Nav radios (VOR, LOC, GS, MB, ADF) as required for the intended ground nav stations to be used, any VFR GPS can be used as a reference but NOT used as a primary Nav in anyway. You can fly a VOR approach or LOC approach with a VOR/LOC receiver and monitor it with GPS, but to fly an approach with a VFR GPS and no ground nav radio, no. They don't call them VFR only GPS for a reason.

For TRUE GPS IFR operations I feel unless your GPS and installation meets the TSO for IFR flight, it is not legal for IFR use except as I mentioned, as a reference to back-up ground based NAV.

There are IFR GPS (TSO'ed) that do not have any comm or ground based nav radio capability (VOR/LOC/GS) built-in and are legal for IFR approaches. In the early days of IFR GPS approaches they were all overlaid on existing approaches and you were required to monitor the ground based nav stations. Now you can do a stand-alone GPS approach with no ground based Nav. However if you are required to file an alternate airport for a certain flight, the alternate airport must have a ground based approach that you can receive and fly, not a GPS approach. In other words even with an IFR TSO'ed GPS you may still need ground based Nav equip to be legal, for example at least a VOR.

The controversy, can an IFR GPS (TSO'ed) alone be legal in an experimental aircraft. Some contend that experimental aircraft are differnt than factory aircraft, even with an IFR GPS TSO'ed your RV still requires ground based Nav equipment, because the exemptions to use GPS for IFR does not apply to experimental aircraft. The operating limitations for experimental is clear: 91.205(d)(2), states you need the ground nav equip which you intended to use. Some say this means you must use (or have) ground based Nav, others say anything goes and if you don't intend on using ground based Nav (e.g., an IFR GPS) you don't need ground Nav. They also extend this to say experimental means you can fly just with any old GPS , with nothing else. Negative. If you are IFR rated and know the requirments I don't think this would be a thought you would consider, loop hole or not. The intent of the law does not extend to handheld GPS approaches. Even the manual by the manufacture states that it is for VFR use only. Is there any controversy? No.

Regardless a VOR/LOC/GS/MB/DME is still the mainstay of the IFR system and will give you the lowest approach mins.

I am going simple delux VFR, EFIS, Portable color map GPS, autopilot. In theory I could fly an IFR GPS approach but it would be as illegal as hell, if not even unsafe. I think you should/must have an IFR GPS (tso'ed) and installed as is required in factory planes to be legal. If you are really IFR rated, really going to fly IFR and have real IMC time, you would not consider flying around with a handheld gps or doing stand-alone GPS approaches with no standard ground based Nav reference. If you want GPS approach capability you need a panel mounted GPS, TSO'ed, installation that meets the TSO and current data base. Even than real practical (safe) IFR requires more than just a GPS in my opinion, legal or not.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Back