What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High fuel prices, Hah!

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
Today two of my sons left the cottage we are renting, for a four hour return trip home in my 2003 GMC pickup. My other son and I took the EVO1 home completing the same journey in one hour. The truck used $5 more fuel than the rocket did even though we are burning expensive 100LL, and, and, we saved three hours of travelling time. Sometimes the high price of avgas does get a bit discouraging but we have to compare it to our other travel options. The airplane does quite well by comparison and we had lunch ready when the other traffic weary travellers drove in the lane.
My Garmin 496 again proved it's worth today as it allowed me to safely navigate through a line of thunder storms. It's images compared favorably with what Toronto centre was describing. Although there was lots of rain in the front we were able to avoid all of it. We always had options and I feel good about the decisions that I made. I also know that without this valuable cockpit tool I would have had to stay another night and potentially miss a day of work. The ablity to see weather ahead gives me the confidence to go and take a look. I am definately a blue sky VFR pilot but the 496 extends the usefulness of my airplane. In the last month of flying I have more than paid for a full years subscription to XM weather.
The picture below was taken at 10,500 over a scattered cumulous layer. Blue sky can be seen ahead as well as very ominous weather to the right. The same black skies were also off to the left.

Last edited:
So true Tom. I was buzzing around a lot this weekend (over 5 hours) burning just 9 GPH. I'm just about ready to order the XM subscription for the EFIS to display weather. I'm just waiting for my bonus to pay for it.

See you at AirVenture.

We did the same comparison

We have a 97 Dodge Neon that gets 36mpg.

We just completed Denver to Corvallis OR in 7 hours including one fuel stop. We paid between 3.7 and 3.99 for 100LL (Thanks AIRNAV!).

When we did the numbers even at our 7GPH burn it was more expensive to take the airplane...BUT...

Lets see, 22hours of driving, night in a cheap motel each way, no AC, and totally fried when you get there...We were discussing this over over dinner outside a bar in Boulder Co, about 2 hours after we arrived...Tired yes, but certainly not at deaths door....Costs would be about the same.

Apart from the "auto rough" when crossing the mountains the airplane comes out way ahead.

Frank

Back