What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avmap question

shiney

Well Known Member
I'm narrowing down my GPS options, and one of them is AvMap. I have been told that recent reports show the latest firmware update to the AvMap EKP IV messed up the NMEA 0183 data output for the Trio A/P so that it won?t drive the autopilot properly. Apparantly earlier versions worked properly. What is the situation with you AvMap users and has anyone checked with AvMap to see if the firmware version is compatible. I know that Trio have talked with them and they are trying to determine the cause of the problem.

Martin

AvMap = great (do not know about your problem!)

I do not know about this, but I know that the EKP IV has got the largest screen and works great! Great reception, even in the worst circumstances . We have some problems with the Jeppesen data though (is just ****, lots of data wrong and many things missing!! I have not updated for more than a year now , just because of that. Even Jeppesen themselves could not come up with a reasonable answer why the data is just unsatisfactory in Europe.) Apart from that, I would recommend the EKP IV any time. Lots of great features, easy to use and a ?huge? screen for its price.

I am planning to install it in my panel and connect it to a Tru Track auto pilot in my RV9A. I will follow this thread because of that, anyway.

Regards, PilotTonny.

Thanks for that Tony, I know that AvMap users are impressed with the product and less impressed with the data (europe) but it's vital that it talks to the trio, otherwise its of no use to me. Come on AvMap - Trio users, post me your comments.

Martin :)

Martin, I hope this helps you, although I have TruTrack, not Trio, one of the things I learned while researching things is that the output of the AVMAP can be fed into my GRT setup, and then outputted to the autopilot in ARINC 429.

This makes the auto pilot quite happy.

You didnt mention what EFIS you have, if any, but it may be something to look into.

Good luck,
Mike

Great news, I'm getting the GRT Dual Horizon with WAAS, so this would appear to solve my concerns wouldn't it?

Martin

AvMap/Trio

AS I posted in a PM to Martin, AvMap gave me an early June version of their software while they fix the newest version to work with Trio. Haven't talked to them since, but they will fix it. The version they sent works great.

Bob Kelly

videobobk said:
AS I posted in a PM to Martin, AvMap gave me an early June version of their software while they fix the newest version to work with Trio. Haven't talked to them since, but they will fix it. The version they sent works great.
Bob, we're having the exact same issue with a friend's FlightDesign CT here in Italy. His Trio AP does not recognize the NMEA stream at all, and nothing good happens. I did debug the NMEA stream and some fields are clearly wrong, with a decimal dot followed by no digit.

Is this software publicly available, or did Avmap give it to you only on an individual basis? Are you able to tell me the version number and date that shows up on the software information page?

Many thanks,

Luca

Luca, try Dan Lyons at AvMap (US) he's emailed me to say that he will provide me with the older SW until they resolve the problem with their latest version, contact him on 800-363-2627 (US) or email him [email protected]

Good luck and let me know how you get on

Martin

shiney said:
Luca, try Dan Lyons at AvMap (US) he's emailed me to say that he will provide me with the older SW until they resolve the problem with their latest version, contact him on 800-363-2627 (US) or email him [email protected]

Good luck and let me know how you get on
thanks Martin, I'll email Dan right away and ask him details about the software downgrade.

Just so I know, are there any important features that will be missed should I have my friend downgrade to the previous software?

Thanks, Luca

Luca----------Have your friend save the existing program to the data card, and use a different card for the new program.

He can then pick which one is best suited for his needs.

Mike

lucaberta said:
Bob, we're having the exact same issue with a friend's FlightDesign CT here in Italy. His Trio AP does not recognize the NMEA stream at all, and nothing good happens. I did debug the NMEA stream and some fields are clearly wrong, with a decimal dot followed by no digit.

Is this software publicly available, or did Avmap give it to you only on an individual basis? Are you able to tell me the version number and date that shows up on the software information page?

Many thanks,

Luca

Luca

I can get the version number the next time I am at the airport. As I recall, the date was June 6, 2007. I think like others have suggested that contacting Dan Lyons is the way to go. He was VERY helpful. Only question I would have is whether or not he has Italian maps as he is U.S. only (I believe.)

P.S. hope to visit there some time soon, so we might meet. I used to live in Brindisi when I was in the USAF.

Bob

Martin,
I am also looking to get an EKP IV in the coming months. I would like to check the visibility from the left. If you get one before me, can I come and have a look at it (pretty please :) ).
Justin RV9a Mount Airy / Hull

Back