What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote oil filter mounting

Mark Cigal

Sponsor
Greetings all ! I have changed the oil twice now on my RV 8... probably don't
have to tell you what a mess it makes getting the oil filter off. I'm looking at
remote mounting options for the filter and wonder what everyone else has
done. The Air Wolf unit is nice but very pricey. Has anyone found a reasonable way to do this ? Also, is there any reason NOT to do this ?
I'm running an IO 360-A1B6 and currently use a spin on filter.
Thanks.......... Mark Cigal N617 MC

There are a couple solutions that are a bit easier than the remote mount filters.

First, if you have room in your engine compartment, buy one of the "no spill" filter adapters that puts the filter at a 45 degree angle to the engine, and the oil drains out of it before changes, so no mess. This is my favorite!

Second, and not one I've used, but I know people who either puncture their filters and drain them that way, or buy one of those littel widgets that goes over the oil filter with a hose on it and does the same thing by puncturing the bottom side of the filter and drains it out that way.

I feel your pain....I have one engine with the filter and the other stil has the antique screen on it. Makes even a bigger mess!

Cheers,
Stein.

My new favorite tool-the filter drainer

Mark,

Don't spend the $$ on the remote kit. I just bought the coolest tool from Avery Tools. It is an oil filter drainer for just the situation you describe. It contains a punch that you use to punch a hole in the filter can before you rotate the filter to remove it. Then you attach a band clamp that has an O ringed fitting that fits into the punched hole. A hose gets attached to the end of the fitting. Clip the safety wire and rotate the filter so that the fitting stops at the six-o-clock position. The oil flows out thru the hose wihtin minutes. No mess. I've been maintaining a horizontally mounted filter on a Mooney for 10 years now, and this is the best thing going! No more mess. And it only costs somewhere between $25-35. I'd pay $135 for it, since it does such a great job. Avery sold out of them at SnF the first day. I cannot believe that no one (especially me) ever thought of this until now. Go get one. :D

Art

Recommend not using a remote filter

If you read a few builders sites that have used a remote filter you will see some regret and change to a directly mounted spin-on filter. Problems are weight, leaks and cost. There is not a real good reason for doing it on a RV since a standard spin adapter works well.

Why add the weight, two expensive hoses, and more hose clutter, more possible places for leaks and more holes in the firewall. The remote Airwolf cost $450. I am not sure but I think this is minus hoses and AN fittings which you will need, for an additional cost of another $100-$150. They claim it weighs 4oz but that must not include all the brackets, fittings, hoses and the adapter on the engine. Total weight will be several pounds. For sure it will weigh much more than a standard spin adapter.

The way to go is either the new 90 deg adapter (available on eBay, ECI, ACS) (about $255-$180):
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/noslipoilfilter.php

The other option, which it sound like you already have, is the standard spin-on filter, which sticks straight out, about $200-$150 on eBay. This is what I have and works fine. The oil chance problem can be solved with a drain tool.

To ease draining and spilling when changing filter use a drain tool, like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/draintool.php
You don't have to buy the tool and can punch a hole in the can and use a funnel, but the tool is nice, and several are available.

If you are buying from scratch you will need a temp cont'l valve (Vernatherm). You need this with any adapter you buy, remote or not, because none of them come with this valve. New they cost over $200, used you can get them for around $50. There are some with swaged fastener that can come loose, which had an AD issued against them. They work but would avoid those.

So for about $200 scratch you can get a good spin adapter. A remote set up will cost as much as $600-$700 total and weigh more. Don't do it, not needed.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Remote oil filter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to opt for the Avery tool option.
No sense in re-inventing the wheel ! I'll spend the extra $$ on Av gas...
a much more FUN option since this plane is so great to fly !!! Regards, Mark

One more option

Put a plastic grocery bag over it before removing it and let it catch all the oil.

I do this with one of my cars and it does a good job of keeping the thing clean.

Remote filter not that bad

I think George is painting an unnecessarily black picture of the remote filter. I have had one on 2 aircraft (one an RV) and have had no problems with leaking. The Airwolf kit provides all of the pipe fittings - hoses are extra. They are not always the best solution, but the quality of the parts is good and the installations I have had have worked well.

Pete

Remote oil filter-Airwolf

penguin said:
I think George is painting an unnecessarily black picture of the remote filter. I have had one on 2 aircraft (one an RV) and have had no problems with leaking. The Airwolf kit provides all of the pipe fittings - hoses are extra. They are not always the best solution, but the quality of the parts is good and the installations I have had have worked well. Pete
No disrespect of their products, I have seen them at the airshow and their parts look top notch, and I stand corrected, they do provide the AN fittings. However the list price of the remote oil filter is $450, and oil lines are expensive, especially with fire sleeve. Also I did not mean to imply it did not work, but it will weigh quite a bit more and be a little more cluttered with hoses and firewall brackets. They advertise their oil filter adapter weighs 4oz is mis-leading, since that does not include all the other components. I am guessing with everything it will be a pound or two more than a standard spin on adapter. So I would have to honest and say it weights more and cost more, but really works well in making oil changes easier. That might be a fair trade-off.
Regards George

Last edited:
The technique I use (got from a Cessna buddy) is to take an empty plastic quart oil bottle, cut it roughly in half vertically to form a tray, slide that tray under the filter when you loosen it to let the oil drain into the tray. You can adjust the cut of the tray to fit your application. Works great.

Back