What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Minimalist Rudder Cable Tensioner

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Here's how I put enough tension on the rudder cables to keep the rudder from flapping in the slightest breeze and it stays centered for when I'm pushing back into the hangar. I have seen more elaborate solutions and some of them also served as rudder trim, but this was very light, inexpensive and easy, since I already had the hole and bolt for holding the heater cable anyhow. It is easily adjusted, too. The termination of the bungee at the pedals is just a pair of cable ties on each side. This is providing enough tension for the intended purpose and so little that I'm unaware of it when I use the rudder.
http://home.cogeco.ca/!n17hh/IMG_3614.jpgpicture here.

Looks like you have a few items chafing in that area. The control cable, brake fluid lines, coax, etc. Don't want to spill brake fluid or short out your antenna... Just my 2 cents!

It's worth a look

dan said:
Looks like you have a few items chafing in that area. The control cable, brake fluid lines, coax, etc. Don't want to spill brake fluid or short out your antenna... Just my 2 cents!
I think the picture is fooling the eye, but I'll certainly take another look. Thanks for the heads up!

Back