What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS approach

elippse

Well Known Member
I've been wondering about the approaches in my Garmin 196, so today I got to try out the RWY 12 ILS at Santa Maria. I'm a VFR-only pilot, and I have been wondering what I would do if I got caught in weather. So just a while ago, while returning from Paso Robles, I called up the approach to Santa Maria, and asked for vectors. I then set my TruTrak to NAV, and it flew me to HILDY. From HILDY it then turned me to RWY 12. The whole time I was being given vertical speed callouts to each waypoint and I matched my rate-of-descent to it. What a confidence builder to see the autopilot and vnav bringing me right down the runway. 'Hope I don't ever have to use this feature, but if the emergency arises, I have a really good chance of setting the plane down on the runway in one piece!

It's excellent that you're taking the time to get comfortable with the equipment that you have in case of an emergency like you're describing. As an instructor I normally have my primary students at least learn the basics of shooting approaches (normally have them fly a few ILS approaches) just in case the need to shoot an approach arises.

Excellent job in making yourself a safer pilot!! :)

Back