What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolling your own interior

Caveman

Well Known Member
The wife and I are thinking of doing our own upholstery on our 7. We have a line on some genuine aircraft fabric and carpet. We have the Van's seat foam and patterns. Can anyone who has done this point us to some "how to roll you own interior" websites or books? Also, sources for backing and piping would be appreciated. Thanks.

Caveman said:
The wife and I are thinking of doing our own upholstery on our 7. We have a line on some genuine aircraft fabric and carpet. We have the Van's seat foam and patterns. Can anyone who has done this point us to some "how to roll you own interior" websites or books? Also, sources for backing and piping would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

In the olden days as a part time job I reupholstered furniture. It was pretty easy.....except for sewing up (even with an industrial sewing machine) the seat cushions. It was interesting how difficult ..at least for me... to get those corners 90 degrees in all three dimensions. Now add the complexity of all those corners around the stick...........

So Abby (Flightline Interiors) is going to do my seats and I will do the rest of the interior!

If you or your wife has some experience with sewing up upholstery fabric give a it a try!!!! I guess like everything involved with building this plane it can be done with knowledge, patiences, and some good old hard work.

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

Since the fabric is free

I sincerely appreciate the feedback, Frank. I'm in OKC today, helping my daughter move. We hope to visit a few sewing stores. If I didn't have a line on some inexpensive, (not cheap), aircraft fabric, I doubt I'd consider doing it. Since I blew the budget on the engine and prop, though, we will give it a try and see what happens. I think it would be neat to be able to say, "We did that, too." Anyone else have some advice or websites? Anyone done this and felt satified with the results?

Joe

Man are you speaking truth when it comes to blowing the budget.......I also think that your wellingness to tackle this project says volumes about all RV builders. JUST DO IT........I would say that you need a good pattern for the seats bottoms and backs. You can design your own for sure and I would say that when you are done the satisfaction of DOING IT will go through the roof. Also check out some upholstery shops either home or aircraft type and get their advice. Many small one man shops would be glad to give you some insight/help/tips on pattern making/sewing/substructure elements. If i can be of any help just give me a call 435-632-6895 and I would gladly give you my .02 worth.

I can't wait to see the outcome of your venture.

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

mixed results

Hi,

We tried.... I had a Aunt (experienced tailoress) on holiday last year and changed tacks and did the seats. The basic stuff came out ok - I Would suggest adding 1/4" to the 'height' of all sides of the VANs seat plans.

Set of photos at http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/upholstery.html - sorry no words - I was working long days whilst doing this.

The major problem we have is getting the 'center' to lay flat / get the seam edge to hold down. I think probably it needs a industrial sewing machine that can hold the distance between the top and bottom surfaces (~2") whilst stitching.

Overall great learning experience for me - "just another skill" - one of the best bits of building for me, the breath of learning..... - just enough to be scary!

My current plan is to use what we have got for flight testing and 'scrub' use, and as the FX rate UK-US is in my favour probably splash out with DJ or Abby next year and upgrade / complete the interior once I have a bit more experience in what I want.

My .02,

Carl

side panel backing - ideas please??

My seats are done, it's time to do the side panels and the wife agreed to handle this job. All we need is some kind of fire proof cardboard or hardboard so that she can glue the fire proof batting and material to.

Any suggestions & sources for fire proof cardboard or hardboard would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
RV9A - almost done

Alum.

MrNomad said:
My seats are done, it's time to do the side panels and the wife agreed to handle this job. All we need is some kind of fire proof cardboard or hardboard so that she can glue the fire proof batting and material to.

Any suggestions & sources for fire proof cardboard or hardboard would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
RV9A - almost done

Barry... 0.016 alum sheet should work and be fire-proof... :)

gil in Tucson

Foam for side panels

MrNomad said:

Barry
RV9A - almost done

I used extra foam I had for the floors and used spray adhesive to secure the cloth. The foam is the light fire resistant stuff from Spruce. I used 3/8" and 1/2". Cut a paper template for each piece and transferred to the foam. The pieces stay in place on their own.

Sebastian Trost
RV-7A flying
O61

Back