What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Fluid

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Greetings,
Just want to know if there is a cheap, easy way to get brake fluid into the system. I don't have access to a pump but will buy one if neccessary.
Thanks,
Bruce
N659DB (RES)

Bruce,
I use a "pump" type oil can and simply pump the fluid up through the bleeder valve. This way all air will remain at the top of the fluid. The pump must not let air in between strokes. I use a clear line between the pump and the bleeder screw so I can see if any air gets in. You will get leakage around the bleeder while doing it this way so keep a rag under the bleeder. It's a little messy but it works great.
Mel...DAR

Just purchase an oil pump can with a large capacity, (about a cup will do), and cut some hose and fit one end over the can output and the other end over the brake fitting. You can even put a piece of hose over another hose to step up to a larger fitting. I prefer clear hose so I can tell where the air is. :)
Start at the low point and pump the fluid up hill. Also, assemble your wheel cylinders with fluid in the piston cylinders and then put your pistons in. While holding the open fitting up hill squeeze the pistons in until no air is left. Cap the cylinder fitting and install it on the plane. If the aircraft system is already bled, then when tightening the brake bolts, loosen the cap and when fluid starts to flow out clear from the final compression of the pistons, quickly hook up the line, but leave it a little loose so that during the final tightening the last bit of fluid pushes the last bit of air out of the loose fitting. Again, when the air is gone tighten the fitting and you’re done. No need to bleed your master cylinders.

Back