What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 N908RV Construction and Flying Gallery

"Floor"

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. Heck, I didn't even know my friend Wayne posted this. Thanks to DR for listing it under "Motivation".

Re: the "floors" - that's something that a number of builders use for temporary flooring when working back in the tailcone area. It is just sitting in there so and was removed after my wiring was done. I made it out of 1/4" plywood and some firring strips. You can't get back there without making a temporary floor of some kind or another. Otherwise you risk damaging bulkheads and skins. Certainly with my big butt back there. Let's just say it isn't a space kind to claustrophobics.

Best,

Rob

Last edited:
praterdj said:
Rob...the plane looks great and EXCELLENT panel layout. I wish I was that far along.

Thanks Donald - that was a tight squeeze to get all of that in there. I tried to flush mount the Garmin 296, but there just wasn't enough room, so I had to compromise on that one.

One item that I would recommend though is to make your radio stack separate from the main panel. I have mine mounted so that you can remove the panel without the stack. that way you can more quickly remove the panel to get back there if you need to. And definitely make the forward bulkhead a hinged affair so you can get in there. This was invaluable and not much extra work at all.

Good luck with your project. It is worth all the effort, you will not be disappointed.

-Rob

Back