What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Questions

Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
I am at the point that I need to order my radios. I want my plane to be IFR (most likely get my rating in it, perhaps the checkride in something else if need be). Realistically I doubt I will actually fly a bunch of IFR in it, but I want to be rated and stay current and use it when necessary.

Last edited:
IFR moving map not required, DME information very nice

Scott DellAngelo said:
I guess what I am mainly looking for here is for people who fly IFR to tell me that this is an alright setup and that in the real world I will not be giving up a whole lot of useability.

It is an alright setup and in the real world you will not be giving up a whole lot of useability. I've never had an IFR GPS and never not been able to do something I wanted. However, I would have a backup to the SL30. Even if it's something cheapo. Maybe even skip on the SL30 and get two different (less expensive) radios so that you have some bit of redundancy. I would recommend some kind of GPS (you could even save money with something less than the 296). Especially if you're in the Northeast. :rolleyes:

On a side note, if you do accept a direct routing without an IFR GPS to somewhere you can't identify yet, make sure they give you an initial vector. Something like, "Fly heading 250 then direct XYZ VORTAC." You can also do a point-to-point to a certain FIX if it's based off the same VOR(TAC) you're currently using. The only thing (except approaches) that the IFR vs VFR GPS is going to give you is the ability to go DIRECT to somewhere 3 states away. Also... when most airports are busy, they don't use the GPS approaches, anyway - at least not yet. They keep everyone in the box pattern and do vectors to the ILS. You can get something else, but you might be waiting for a little while for a hole to open up.

That was probably WAY more than you asked for, huh? Oh well.

edit: I did however have DME. So all of what I said is true, but with DME capability. You can get a cheap IFR GPS (not moving map type) to give you DME information for less than the cost of DME (Yes, I realize it's not slant range. The FAA has allowed GPS to serve as DME so far without clarifying the requirements). You might want to look into that.

Blue skies,

Last edited:
Scott,
That is what I did. I ordered the Sl-30 and the GNX-327 from vans that should be here this week all wired up. Then purchased a panel mount for may 196 from Airgizmos.com. A GNS 430 or 530 would be nice but it's not in the budget at this time.
Phil RV7-A
N3938C

Back