What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A to RV-6

I'm New Here
I have found a great deal on an RV6A complete kit. I would prefer the tailwheel version. Just wondering what the differences were between the two kits and how difficult it would be to make the switch. Thanks.

Depending on how far along in the assembly process the kit is, there may be *very* little work and not a whole lot of cost to convert it to a plain -6.

There are really two major differences. First, you need a different engine/gear mount for the -6. Second, you have to mount a tailwheel.

On the -6, the engine mount includes the mount for the main gear. It is a bolt-up installation on the firewall, so no fuselage modifications are necessary to fit the -6 engine/gear mount. However, if the fuselage has already been opened up for the -A main gear, you may have some holes to patch.

To mount the tailwheel, you'll need to reinforce the aft fuselage by installing a doubled up bulkhead. Also, you'll need to mount a weldment between a couple of bulkheads back there. Speaking as someone who has already finished an airplane, making the aft fuselage modification to a partially complete fuselage wouldn't be a big deal. Beyond that, you need a few tailwheel parts and you're ready to go.

Thanks a lot for the info. The other option I was thinking of was finding someone with a -6 kit that would prefer a -6A and make a switch with them.

Back