What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna Placement for GPSMAP 196

jlfernan

Well Known Member
I have a 196 and am curious as to where people are mounting the antenna. Can I place the antenna under the cowling as I've seen other people do with panel mount GPS's or will there be too much interference because of the fiberglass? Will the exterior mount antennas from panel mount units work with the 196? By the way, love the extended runway centerlines on the 196.

I have a 430 antenna which I have mounted on the skin in front of the wind screen of my 9A and 396 antenna which I am mounting on my glare shield just to the right of the roll bar brace. I will have a hole in the glare shield large enough to pass the antenna wire plug through and will have the antenna mounted with Velcro. This will allow me to remove the antenna if I want to. I have seen this setup on several RV's and seems to work OK. I have my 396 mounted on the panel but so I can take it out for soft ware updates and to use in the auto. I have been advised that it may be too hot an invironment to put the GPS antennae in the engine compartment.

Cleve

If a slider, put it on top of the glare shield with a big view of the sky. Nearly a trivial exercise for installation.

Under the cowl I consider poor: another firewall penetration, some sort of bracket to hold it horizontal, it's already crowded FWF, hot, some paints might attenuate signal.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Back