What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How not to connect GRT to A/P

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
For those of you who would like to learn from my mistake:

For redundancy purposes but without enough analysis I wired a Y connection from each of my two GRT EFIS screens and took the merged wire to the selector which connects EITHER the '496 OR the EFIS to the TruTrak A/P. To make a long story short, this won't work. Either have a 3-way switch or only use one EFIS for this. It's working very well now on either a single EFIS or the '496. The '496 side of the switch always did work once I got the configuration right. There was never anything wrong with the GRT except the "loose nut". I made the situation worse by failing to document (or remember) that Y connection. When GRT's people asked I kept saying, no, I don't have that. Do document your wiring! I did draw it out, just not correctly.

I had considered just giving up and using the '496 only. However, there is much virtue in using the GRT instead: (I have an SL-30 for NAV Radio).
1. Transitions from GPS or VOR enroute to LOC/ILS on the AP. Ditto for synthetic appoach.
2. Can direct the AP to follow VOR or GPS or HDG any time you like.
3. Can still use the external flight plan which is read by GRT from '496.
4. All controlling of the aircraft's path is now from the EFIS. Simpler and more capable.
5. Works as in #4 even from the primary flight display as well as map pages. Exception - you need to use map page to set OBS for the VOR.

So, now the '496 direct to A/P is my backup for a major outage of the GRT, as originally intended. Keep the greasy side down. shiny side up.

My A/P's "EFIS/GNS" switch is almost permanently in the EFIS position - I occasionally feed it from the GNS 430 just to make sure it still works, but as you point out, having the EFIS feed the Tru-Trak gives you so much more capability....

Glad you found the problem!

Paul

G Meter

Ooops,

Sorry guys, I intended to post this in the G meter thread....slip of the mouse. I will post it there instead.

Does anyone have any feedback on how well the G meters included with the GRT EFIS works?

Last edited:
Works as it should

tonyjohnson said:
Does anyone have any feedback on how well the G meters included with the GRT EFIS works?
I am not an expert on G-meters, but it seems to tell me the G's. It's just some digits on the EFIS screen, lower left. You can see more about it in their Operations Manual, available on the web site.

Are you guys using the arinc (or however it is spelled) 429 module, or just hooking up the GRTs gps without it.

Is this module really worth the extra $500 or so???

Anyone able to explain what it does??

Thanks, Mike

No ARINC on Mine

Mike S said:
Are you guys using the arinc (or however it is spelled) 429 module, or just hooking up the GRTs gps without it.

Is this module really worth the extra $500 or so???

Anyone able to explain what it does??

Thanks, Mike
I don't have it so I can't say if it is worth it. GPSS won't work without it. GPSS (GPS Steering) allows the A/P to anticpate the way point and begin the turn appropriately. Without it, as I am, the A/P flys through the WP and then turns back to the course, hunts a little and settles down.

Back