What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratomaster gauges

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone using or have any experience with the Startomaster maxi singles or smart singles?

Was thinking about using them as back-up airspeed, alt, and compass for my GRT.

I just installed a TC-3, which is the multi-channel CHT/EGT display in my RV-9A.

It was easy to install and works perfectly. The documentation was insufficient for proper install, but the Sport Flying Shop helped me out quickly. As far as I know, I'm the first one to report on installing on one of these for an RV.

The display is legible and the controls easy to use in flight. For example, I had reversed the setup for K-type and J-type probes. It took a few seconds in flight and I had reversed them from the menu definition and everything was fine.

Vern

Yes, it is quite possible that your TC-3 is the first of it's kind in a RV.
We have never been very active in the RV type aircraft market. We come from supplying microlight and ultralight aircraft and things are "spreading" from there. Don't look down on these aircraft (if that is what you're thinking) - it's the toughest environment for anything electronic that you can imagine. Little mass, rough runways, no such thing as shock absorbers. In the open, sunlight, rain, in addition the instruments need to be as light as possible and are driven with poor quality power.
The TC-3 however has found a ready market with many certified aircraft owners due to the very low cost. (in countries that allow installation of NTC equipment into certified aircraft under whatever rules)
It's only really since our Enigma EFIS that RV builders have started noticing us - and with that our large range of useful little gadgets.

Have a look at www.MGLAvionics.co.za under Smart-Singles and Maxi-Singles.
Also, note the Maxi-Single sized super low cost Engine monitor E1 and the useful Flight II primary flight display.
There is a Sonex I know of flying with just those two - all the instruments you need for just a few hundred $$. It's not in the RV league, granted, but they make useful backup instruments.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

vlittle said:
I just installed a TC-3, which is the multi-channel CHT/EGT display in my RV-9A.

It was easy to install and works perfectly. The documentation was insufficient for proper install, but the Sport Flying Shop helped me out quickly. As far as I know, I'm the first one to report on installing on one of these for an RV.

The display is legible and the controls easy to use in flight. For example, I had reversed the setup for K-type and J-type probes. It took a few seconds in flight and I had reversed them from the menu definition and everything was fine.

Vern

Not quite the first.

I installed a TC-3 in February or so. I was quite impressed by the design and cost of the MGL units. Good job guys.
JP

Maxi-Single

I also have been looking at these and have decided to install the ASX-3 Airspeed and Altimeter combo in my AFS EFIS equiped panel. One of my concerns was the reports of lack of accuracy in 2.25 guages (alt in particular) and tight panel space. This guage lets me combine two functions and seems to answer the accuracy issue.

Tom T
RV-7A Firewall Forward

Smart single Compass

Have been flying with Smart Single Compass for three years and pleased with it. Do wish they would make it in a round face to go with other instruments.

Your wish has been heard.
We are looking at this as many of our instruments are being considered for use in larger aircraft. The Smart and Maxi singles where originialy targeted for ultralight use which has been our traditional market. But things are changing. Rapidly...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Dale Ensing said:
Have been flying with Smart Single Compass for three years and pleased with it. Do wish they would make it in a round face to go with other instruments.

Back