What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Governors

dpansier

Well Known Member
Some Lycoming engines have front mount and some have rear mount governors, are the governors unique for each position or can they be interchanged?

Thanks,
Don
RV-7

Don,
The internal drive ratio of the governor drive, on the engine, are different front mount drive (.947:1 on wide deck engines and .895:1 on narrow deck engines) vs. rear mount drive(.866:1 two mags accessory type housings and 1.30:1 dual mag single mag drive accessory housings). Thus, the governors need to be set up for the correct drive ratio to match the drive they are mounted to. They are not interchangeable.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

mahlon_r said:
Don,
The internal drive ratio of the governor drive, on the engine, are different front mount drive (.947:1 on wide deck engines and .895:1 on narrow deck engines) vs. rear mount drive(.866:1 two mags accessory type housings and 1.30:1 dual mag single mag drive accessory housings). Thus, the governors need to be set up for the correct drive ratio to match the drive they are mounted to. They are not interchangeable.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

mahlon --

i'm glad you chimed in on this. i want to get in on the pcu 5000x prop governor group buy:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=126669&highlight=pcu#post126669

but don't know how to fill out the form, which asks:

Drive Ratio
Rotation (facing base)
□ 866:1 □ 895:1 □ 947:1 □ 1:1
□ Other __________________
□ Clockwise □ Counter-Clockwise

and

Control Lever Angle
(Specify)
O? to 360?
(See Sketch) _______________

and
Control Lever Rotation
(Facing the Head)
□ Clockwise
□ Counter-Clockwise

i think i know the answers to the rest of the questions. if i use a tmx-io360 and a hartzell b/a prop, can you help me fill out the 3 above questions? (from your post, it looks like i need the .866:1, but i don't grok the rest.)

thanks,

john

johnp said:
i want to get in on the pcu 5000x prop governor group buy [...] but don't know how to fill out the form
I called American Propeller to ask about this, and was told "just tell us the aircraft, engine, and prop type and we'll figure out the rest." They seem to be pretty familiar with the various permutations of RV's and engines, so I just left that section of the order form blank.

mcb

Back