What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Timer's Headset Questions

smoore

I'm gearing up to start flight training and would like to purchase a good, used headset at first:

1) What do I look for?
2) How can I test it without an airplane?
3) How much should I pay?

I obviously don't want to get ripped off and wouldn't know where to start looking. Barnstormers doesn't seem to have much of a market for them. Does the student typically just "run into" one somewhere along the line from hanging out at the airport? I guess I'll eventually need two 'cause you know... that license does come!

Any primer articles or documents about headsets would be appreciated also, all I can find with google is the AOPA article "How to Buy A Headset" and a bunch of retailers... none of which tell me how to get a gently used $300 headset for $100 ;)

Sean,
I'd start here in this forum. I'm sure there are a lot of headsets sitting around following upgrades. Some retailers, like Aircraft Spruce, have displays that showcase different suppliers/models.
Mark

NEW AND CHEAP....

smoore said:
I'm gearing up to start flight training and would like to purchase a good, used headset at first:

1) What do I look for?
2) How can I test it without an airplane?
3) How much should I pay?;)

Buy new... Look at PACIFIC COAST AVIONICS their store brand is made by lightspeed. $110.00 will get you the PCA-9t Lightspeed calls it the QFR SOLOc.These will work great in a cert. (with muffler) A/C. And will do good in a RV...

I use the lightspeed QFR XCc and sometimes forget to turn on the ANR when I fly at 60% in the RV. I also use the lightspeed 30-3G headset in the RV and they are QUIET!!!! but many more $$$$$$.

In the Piper I have found that the QFR XCc actually work better and are a nicer fit.

Raven is also made by LS. All the same specs..

Call LIGHTSPEED 1-800-332-2421. They are the BEST people to deal with. They stand behind their products and will help you in any way they can. :)

Last edited:
Lightspeed

I'd suggest the 30-3G. I used to have a pair of Bose X ... boy they were nice. However, they cost more than 2x the 30-3G!! The Lightspeeds are just as quiet (to me) and more comfortable. The Bose made my ears hurt after an hour or so. The 30's are so big and soft I've never had a problem. Also, the 30's have good passive attenuation so if the battery goes you've still got some protection. If the battery goes in the Bose it can get hard to hear the radio.

-Rick

If you want the over-the-ear ANR style, Lightspeed sells reconditioned headsets. Good stuff at decent prices, and they uphold the same commitment to quality & repair as they do new headsets. Their R20XL (R=reconditioned) has been the best bang for the buck I've seen in an ANR.

Passive..........

rickmellor said:
I'd suggest the 30-3G. Also, the 30's have good passive attenuation so if the battery goes you've still got some protection. -Rick
30-3Gs................. $595.00......passive.........12-22dB.... weighs 15.0 oz.

QFR SOLOc............ $110.00..... passive........ 28dB........ weighs 11.8 oz.

He is looking for his first headset and wants to spend about $100.00 :eek:

Last edited:
Buying a headset is like buying a pair of shoes - what feels great for someone may not for someone else. Don't buy on others opinions alone.

Go to a pilot supply shop or trade show where you can try a bunch on and see what feels good to you. Even better, fly into a pilot shop like Pacific Coast Avionics and ask if you can take a few spins around the pattern with your instructor and a few different headsets - try them out. Most places have a few demo units you can use for a few hours.

Good brands to start with:

David Clark
Bose
Peltor

Good Luck!

(Oh, and Lightspeed gives good customer support and warranty repair service - and you're gonna need it!)

gasman said:
He is looking for his first headset and wants to spend about $100.00 :eek:

Used vs. new ... nothing wrong with used. There are lots of good units out there to choose from. I would definitely warn against super el-cheapo units though. You'll burn $100 on your first lesson and it'll just keep getting more expensive from there. Considering how important your hearing is and that your ears won't heal from damage, this is definitely a choice that should be made with money as a secondary factor.

I'd suggest renting / borrowing a headset from the flight school until you know that flying is right for you. After you reach that decision, save up and buy the best headset you can afford.

Oh yeah, if you want to test it out ... buy the pair that you think will work. Take it home and go outside and mow the yard with them on. If you're satisfied then you should be fine in the plane. Just be sure not to get them dirty in case you need to take them back. ;)

-Rick

Try new for 30 days

rickmellor said:
Used vs. new ... nothing wrong with used. There are lots of good units out there to choose from. I would definitely warn against super el-cheapo units though.Considering how important your hearing is and that your ears won't heal from damage, this is definitely a choice that should be made with money as a secondary factor.-Rick

No one ever stays with their first headset.

This is a good value and a SAFE headset............
http://www.pilotessentials.com then click on Raven headsets

Thanks for all the leads. I'm definitely doing passive for now, the flight school I'm looking at uses Evektor aircraft and I understand they are fairly quiet.

The lightspeed solo looks really good. The weird little volume control is strange but if people aren't complaining about it...

David Clark are those that I remember from the few hours of flight I did in HS. I could see a used pair of those in my future. But, (why is there always a but?) used is well... used.

I was also looking at the ASA HS-1 but can't find any claim of dB attenuance except for one retailer and they don't claim NRR. Kinda sketchy.

My hearing is already pretty shot from work; young and dumb, "I don't need no durn muffs!" It's slowly getting better from a nearly anal-retentive use of muffs now.

I want/need at least 25dB NRR if I'm going to be in a loud cockpit for hours on end (eventually, I understand lessons are pretty short).

As a side question: Just how loud IS an unmuffled experimental cockpit? Lawn mower loud? Harley Davidson in a garage loud? Fire engine leaving the firehouse loud? Machine shop lathe loud? Hopefully I'll experience it firsthand after making contacts to beg some rides at the EAA fly-in this June.

Thanks again all, I love this board... worth every penny of that paltry $25 DR asks for.

edit: Of course, I'd be willing to bail from the "passive" crowd if someone's old but nice $500 headset WAS being sold for $150 or so ;)

Last edited:
Back