What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Placement

N369DB

I'm New Here
Hey Guys,

I am installing my Rudder Pedals in my RV6 and am trying to determine rudder pedal placement. Right now I have the Nylon Bearing blocks 3-3/4 inches aft of the edge of the vertical longeron on the firewall. This seems to be a comfortable distance but I would like some additional input / Advise.

Thanks,

David W. Bristol
N369DB
RV-6 - QB Fuselage

Pedal Location

Dave...

I built an RV6 to suit "short" pilots. My wife is also a pilot and she is only 5'2" tall while I am only 5'6" myself. Vans prints had a measurement indicating position so I drilled the longerons for the plastic rudder bearings as per print and, in addition, I also drilled holes 3 1/2" farther aft of Vans recommended position. This is where the pedals are located today and I believe I also had to make a longer center support for the center pedal blocks. The only difference is the steel link between the rudder pedal itself and the rudder cable is very short enabling the link to clear the short vertical stiffener aft of the firewall. You have to be carefull here as there is a interference issue when full rudder is applied with the relocated pedals. With both locations drilled, I can merely unbolt and move the entire rudder assembly forward to the original holes for taller pilots if need be although I would have to make new longer steel links to utilize the same rudder cables. This conversion was never meant to be changed on the spurr of the moment but rather in the event I sold the plane to a taller pilot. We also have "booster" cushions so we can see over the nose which we remove for our taller friends. It all works fine and would do the same again.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
180 hours
0-320 Hartzell
Northfield, MN

The center nylon block....

The back of the center nylon block is in line with the trailing edge of the bracket on mine. Final position can be adjusted with the cables. But make sure you watch the angle of f-6117. And do use one long bolt instead ot two short ones :D

Placement

I cheated a wee bit and made them somewhat adjustable. I did it by mounting a 1/4"X 5 X 2 (the 5X2 are approximate measurements) aluminum plate to the longeron. It is solidly bolted to the longeron. It sticks out about an inch; I then drilled several mounting points on the plate that allows me to adjust the mounting point forward or aft. (I am 6'4") This change required a careful shortening of the weldment but there was exactly enough room to cut about 3/4" from each end. There were several reasons that I did this but an unexpected and nice end result is that the small shortening of the weldment crossmembers made them really easy to mount. (If you do this you do need a pipe cutter not a hack saw for the cuts.)
It has been flying for over a year without difficulty and is as solid as the day it was installed.

Big feet

Hi David,
I wear size 12 shoes and was advised to add another 1" block to the longeron, raising the pedals so you don't accidentally ride the brakes. It was good advice......depends on foot size.

Regards,

As far forward

I have longer legs and decided to mount mine as far forward as the plans allow. I figured it would be much easier to adjust the seats or add cushions for shorter folks than to have to move the rudder pedals.

Back