What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Atlanta Cleco Help

GTechRV

So I recently ran into the classic problem of the 3/32 clecos popping out of dimpled skins and realized I have the clecoloc brand which tend to do exactly that. Is there some sort of technique that will make these work or do I need a different brand?

If so, I was wondering if there were any area builders willing to trade a 100 or so (about half my current stock) for a different brand. I understand that the 3/32 from avery or cleaveland do not suffer the same fate. I live in the northern suburbs (Suwanee) but take frequent trips down to Spruce, so location is not a big deal. PM me!

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:
I'd say...ebay 'em to a Murphy or Sonex builder who isn't dimpling, for whom those clecos would probably work just fine. And then buy WEDGELOK clecos for your RV project.

Thanks for the tip Dan. Just bought a hundred from Cleaveland. I guess I'll just have two types for now. Funny I haven't found the issue in other's build logs.

Cleco Issue

I've used many brands of clecos both new and used and have never had this experience. Maybe this company has changed something in their design.

I got one bad batch of clecos that exhibited this problem. You could visually see that the little round heads on the clecos were smaller than the other ones. I purchased the clecos from Cleaveland. If you got yours from Cleveland give them a call -- they will do everything possible to make sure you're happy. They have gone above and beyond for me on a couple of issues.

BTW: To finish the plane I ended up with about 500 or so. When you have the entire fuselage clecoed upside down you'll see how many you'll need.

Cloco-Loc

I had the same problem with mine. I ended up buying new ones from Cleaveland, and returned the Cleco-Locs to US Industrial where I bought them.

I had the same problem. I had the Avery tool package but soon realized I needed a lot more for my RV-10. I drove over to Aircraft Spruce and bought two hundred more. It took a while for me to figure out what was going on, but the Spruce ones just don't want to hold. The simple solution was putting a small bin nearby to toss the weak sisters in. They're still good for non-dimple work.
John

Back