What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aligning Gearleg Fairings??

Peetie the Pilot

Has anyone out there aligned their gearleg fairings another way other than the extended centerline string method described in the instuctions. Thanks in advance the your replies

Peetie the Pilot :cool:

I just did it by eye. I made one change after flying it to correct a small amount of rudder trim. I did the oil test on them later on and the flow seems to be pretty good. I would do it again like that. Quick and easy.

N916K said:
I just did it by eye. I made one change after flying it to correct a small amount of rudder trim. I did the oil test on them later on and the flow seems to be pretty good. I would do it again like that. Quick and easy.
Can you give me a short explaination of what the oil test is and how it is done? :confused:

airflow indication

I believe he is talking about using oil to visually determine the airflow over an object. I would not use oil myself, but the idea is use a thick liquid that will leave a trace after flying. Apply, fly, land and check. The fluid will flow back and around an object leaving streamer or streaks. From this you see how the air is flowing. In the case of the gear leg the fluid should flow back the same on both top and bottom. If it is angled too much in one direction the airflow and the fluid will detach also, showing an indication by not marks. You can use colored dyes to do the trick . Good luck

Last edited:
Back