What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to with with the other arbor on bench grinder

RyanM

Well Known Member
Hello!

I've my bench grinder only being half used. I've got a 6" scotch-brite 7a med wheel on the one side, but the other side sits naked. What are the other builders putting in there to help in the build? I was thinking of buying a 7A fine wheel, but I'm not sure how much value that would provide. I'm thinking something that really polishes up the aluminum would be nice. would the 7A fine wheel do that?

Thanks!

Ryan-

My suggestion would be to just leave the "steel" wheel on one side. You'll need it periodically to grind steel parts. However, because it sometimes gets in the way of longer aluminum parts I'm scotchbriting, I just take the "steel" wheel on and off as needed. In fact, I just hand tighten the nut on that one side, making the wheel quick and easy to take on and off as necessary.

I'm not sure that I could ever find a use for the soft scotchbrite wheel that would justify it's cost. Probably would polish better but that's not at all necessary for our application.

My $.02. Good luck.

Another ScotchBrite wheel?

I use grey ScotchBrite on one side, and red on the other. Sometimes I need to remove a lot of metal rather than deburr.

mgomez said:
I use grey ScotchBrite on one side, and red on the other. Sometimes I need to remove a lot of metal rather than deburr.
Where can you get them? I checked Lowes and Home Depot. No luck.

When I took the RV building class from Cleaveland Tools, they suggested the 3M cut and polish wheel (7A medium) on one side and the 3M Light Deburring Wheel on the other. Both Scotchbrite. I use the cut and polish 1st (aggressive), then finish off with the light deburring. The latter puts a nice polished finish on the deburred part. I've finished my empennage and am within a month of finishing the wings. This has worked out very nicely for me.

You can get these at Cleaveland Tools, but I would also check out Avery.

Yeah, any of the usual suspects have 'em, although the price of these things is going up faster than a barrel of oil.

Avery has the medium wheel now for $60 (Here) and $65 for the light deburring wheel (Here). Cleaveland is asking $57.

When I bought 'em just 6 years ago, I paid $45. That's a pretty healthy increase which I hope is going directly into the Minnesota (3M) economy.

Machinist Tools

Check out Machinist Tool in Dallas. They have an assortment of wheels, flaps and other great tools and they are reasonable if you live in the DFW area or maybe you can get them online.

Good Luck,

Back