What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 O320 to O360 Conversion

Jim Lewellyn

Well Known Member
In my search to purchase a flying RV6, I have found a few 6's that have run out O320's. Can someone give me a little run down on what is involved with replacing an existing O320 with an O360? New motor mount, cowling, exhaust ????

Thank you,
Jim

Can't say but..

you may be looking at a new prop as well since I think the bolt hole pattern is different (do verify).

Bolt hole pattern on prop is same. But bolt size goes to 1/2", and pitch won't be compatible.
Engine mount should be same. Exhaust probably won't fit. O-360 is longer stroke.
Cowling scoop is different. Carburetor is larger.

...baffles...

Mel said:
Bolt hole pattern on prop is same. But bolt size goes to 1/2", and pitch won't be compatible.
Engine mount should be same. Exhaust probably won't fit. O-360 is longer stroke.
Cowling scoop is different. Carburetor is larger.

If the exhaust is in good condition, I believe Vetterman can modify it by extending the cross-over tubes - presuming he made it originally... :)

The front and rear baffle parts are different because of the increased engine width... the side pieces mighty still be usable.

If it has the original large battery, a change to the smaller, lighter firewall mounted battery will compensate a bit for the extra engine weight.

Possibly a larger oil cooler will be needed.

gil in Tucson

Thank You

This is a wonderful group! Thank you for the help.

This conversion appears to be easier than I had originally envisioned.

Thanks again,
Jim

Been there done that.

Jim,

You'll need.....

- new chin scoop (carb hangs down lower)
- new exhaust
- new baffles
- new oil cooler installation (baffles)
- new spinner and prop (you're going C/S, right?)

You'll get...
- a COMPLETELY different airplane. The takeoff thrust on the first flight after was alarming (and enjoyed).

Pictures and junk at the bottom of http://www.vansairforce.net/eci/FlashEngine.htm

IMG_3606.jpg

Best,
Doug

Back