What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C150 / J3 Transition to RV-3

JoeLofton

Well Known Member
I?m a 500-hour plus pilot, with almost all that time in a Cessna 150. I have about 15 hours in a J-3. I just bought an RV-3 (150hp, fixed-pitch), and thought I would share my impressions about the transition. Here they are to date (one week under my belt).

The RV-3 is not your father?s C150!! It is a fantastic flying machine that gives you options that you don?t have with your C150. You can give up those close-up views of the treetops at the end of the runway on a hot day. You have a choice on whether to endure the bumps or climb above them. There is a whole blue sky above your head that you never knew was there, and to see the ground below just quickly tuck the wing under out of the way and take a look. No slack in the controls, and the stick is much more natural than the push/pull/turn of a control yoke.

That said, the formerly cramped cockpit of a C150 is absolutely spacious compared to the RV-3. This is an airplane that you step into and put on. You won?t be tossing your headset up on the glareshield and your maps and books into the other seat or the baggage area. Anything in the baggage compartment might as well be on the moon while you?re flying. Think small; even two folds of a sectional on a kneeboard tend to get in the way of the throttle or stick. I may be able to put a water bottle down by the flap handle, but haven?t tried yet. Everything I need either goes into the small side pocket, the map box behind the stick, or on the wingwalk while I slide in. Then I can just reach down and pick up the stuff off the wingwalk, such as a kneeboard, and put it on. I?m thinking cargo pants with lots of leg pockets will work well on a x-country. Plan ahead ? take everything you need and nothing you don?t.

You?ve heard it before, but I?ll say it again. Get some transition training before flying your RV. If you?ve been flying anything other than say a Pitts, you won?t be ready for the performance. I got some checkout time in an RV-6 and a Citabria. Both were very helpful. In a Cub everything happens slowly ? the tail drifts up, the Cub trundles sedately along and gives you plenty of time to do your jitterbug on the rudders, the control surfaces are sort of loosely connected to the stick and rudder pedals, and the 65hp leisurely levitates you. If you get off line you have time to think about it a while before you have to react. Not so in the RV. My first takeoff was a sort of crow-hopping affair. The power went in, a two seconds later the tail came up, the p-factor/gyro effect pointed me toward the trees on the left side, I booted the right rudder and probably hit the brakes at the same time in my wide-eyed hurry, we hopped a couple times on the grass and were airborne, climbing like a banshee. That?s when the grin started, in spite of my heart pounding like Roger Rabbit?s. WooHoo!!

Takeoffs are much more controlled now. I learned from that experience to feed the power in gradually. You can easily be up to takeoff speed as the throttle goes past halfway, and you have more time to control the plane. Of course takeoff distance is a bit longer ? say 400ft instead of 300ft. There are no free lunches. Keep feeding the power to full and climb out at 100mph, 1200fpm plus. I?m always thrilled to see triple digits at cruise in my C150, and anything over 500fpm climb is a gift, and only happens on a cold day. From a field elevation of 800ft, it is easy to be at a cruising altitude of 3500ft before leaving the pattern in the RV.

We (the RV and I) are still working on the landings. My technique in the C150 is to make fairly steep approaches with 30 degrees flaps, 1500rpm, power off and airspeed at 65mph on short final, touching the mains with the control yoke almost all the way back, and holding the nose up until it drops on its own. No tailwheel to get in the way of the flare. The J3 is similar, fly down to a few inches off the runway and gradually pull the stick back to the 3-point stance. At a full stall the tailwheel will touch just before the mains and there is no flying energy left. Not so with the RV-3 ? the stall happens at a considerably higher angle than the three-point stance. This is good for visibility. With seat cushions adjusted to leave about an inch of headroom under the canopy I can see almost all the runway in front of the RV, which make taxiing easy. But old habits are hard to break, and it just hard to fly the RV onto the runway in its three-point stance. I have a sore temptation to flare at the last minute, the tailwheel hits first, the mains come down, the tail goes up?and down, and up and down?until I manage to pin it with back stick or add a little power to keep it up until I can ease it down. At the same time I?m searching for the centerline that got away from me somehow. I?ve never felt out of control, but it isn?t pretty yet. I?ve had one good landing (out of a couple dozen) where everything rolled on at once. Just like golf ? that one good shot out of every ten that makes you think, ?I can play this game!?

That?s where we are after a week. I?m promising the RV-3 to learn to land and fly it well, and it is promising me that we will have some good times together.

Joe Lofton
Plane-poor - C150, RV-3A, building RV-9 wings

Thanks for the info Joe! Learning how to fly an aircraft without an instructor barkin' at you is always a welcomed chalenge in my book. I've only got 400 plus hours, mostly in my luscombe, (I've never had an instructor with me in it) and various cessna's and a J-3 also. Flying taildragger has become like driving a car...I think I've got it figured out. I havn't flown it in almost 18 months though, and my -4 is almost finished. In your opinion,do you think I'd be alright to jump right into the -4 or should I get the luscombe running again and refresh my memory on how to fly a tail dragger? (it's turned into a big time and $ project) It seems almost pointless to fly the rental c152 at the airport.

Advice from a 150 driver

I had most of my 800 hours in 150's , 172's and Cherokee 180's. Almost no TD time. I took transition training in a -6. My -7A is a very easy airplane to take off and land, but I found both in the -6 much more challenging simply because I'm not a TD pilot. If I were rusty, I'd get current on TD technique for a -3 or a -4. Strongly advised from a guy who rides a tricycle.

You are in good shape

"15 hours in a J-3" You are an expert. I explain RV's handling like a fast Cub. You do have the low wing and a little more ground effect, but speed control will be just a little more critical. You get the flaps with the RV but you have less drag, so ON glide path and on speed, aim point, smooth flair and idle power when just about to touch. The RV controls are more responsive and powerful but a little practice you will be fine.

You say you have J-3 time. If you are confident and competent in a J-3 your transition to the RV will be uneventful. Keep the drag and speed difference in mind, but fly it by the numbers. Two things: The RV will not land if you are fast (float); A RV will stop flying if you get it too slow (don't drop it in). In both case the RV is honest and will let you know, but it does need to be in the right ball park when you round out (flair).

Don't force it, if you blow it and too fast go around. If you are flaring and not touching down go around. For some reason, some people, new to RV's tend to drop them in. I just think its their bad habits they bring to the plane. The RV has such good visibility fwd, side that depth perception should not be an issue, but it will be different than a J-3. Sit in the plane on the ground on the ramp and set that sight picture in your mind. Flying from the back of a J-3 is more of a challenge in my opinion.

Directional control should be easier with the RV; it's got a decent tail-wheel, better brakes and even better rudder authority.

Last edited:
joeboisselle said:
In your opinion,do you think I'd be alright to jump right into the -4 or should I get the luscombe running again and refresh my memory on how to fly a tail dragger?

Joe, I highly recommend that you brush up your skills. A few hours of dual in a -4 will give you the sight picture and feel of your new plane, and you'll be able to better concentrate on "first flight" stuff. Even in my 150, if I haven't flown a while I find myself missing small things, like pulling carb heat before landing. 18 months is a long time to be off the bicycle.

You're gonna love your new plane.

Joe Lofton

Good planning makes for good flying

I've been flying my RV-3 now for about 100 hours and have greatly enjoyed it. It is a fairly easy tail dragger to fly but you really need to watch your speed and atitude on landing or you will bounce or balloon on touch down. Get it slow enough with the stick all the way on touch down and you will be rewarded with a nice roll out. The cockpit is small so you need to be organized with you charts and stuff. I have flown fairly long cross country flights with out any problems. Write all your way points and radio frequencies on your knee board to save the hassle of looking for them
on your charts. For a radio I just have an Icom IA-24 connected to an external anntenna that's works great. The Icom IA-24 has a great flip-flop feature keeps your last 10 frequencies allowing you to scroll through them very quickly or punch in the next several frequencies you will be using as you travel especially into towered airports.

RV-3 Dennis

Back