What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MDRA FEE schedule change

rv8eh

Well Known Member
I talked to the MDRA office yesterday:

MDRA no longer has a "sub-assembly" inspection price.

It appears that sub-assemblies get requested and paid for as "pre-cover"

The sub-assembly price was about $180, and the pre-cover is $307 (I think that was taxes-in).

MD-RA Fee Change

Not as bad as all that. I have a hard copy of the previous fee schedule (2005), the Sub-Assembly was $217.76 tax paid vs the old Pre-Cover of $282.48 tax paid. Currently, the new fee is $307.40 tax paid, looks like about 10% increase over the old one (not considering GST went down since). I was told the reason for deleting the Sub-Assembly Inspection was Inspectors were coming back from inspections and complaining that the Sub-Assembly inspection builders were booking were actually Pre-Cover Inspections and the inspectors wanted to get their proper pay.

MDRA-fee schedule

The fee schedule has been revised since the version you have.

I paid about $180 in November for a sub-assy inspection.
This matches the fee schedule on the mdra website (dated 25 Jan 2007).
Precover $290 and sub-assy 170 prior to tax.

I don't begrudge the money, I'm getting my value out of the inspector. I was just surprised that it cost more than I remembered. The online inspection request still allows you to ask for a subassembly inspection; I was told it would be changed soon. I expect the updated fee sched. to be posted at that time as well.

Hope to meet you on the project tour Saturday.
-Howard McKay, RV-8A emp
Saskatoon, SK

mdra fees

So, I can take from all this that when we Canadians have a sub-assebly AND a pre close at the same time (trying to kill two birds, you know) I should expect to be paying for both inspections. I've been holding off on the sub to save on the inspector's travel costs (which of course, I pay) I plan on one visit. Oh, Lord let me get it right the first time! (I think the current rate is 45 cents per kilometer.) :) Hey, I'm just glad there's folks out there that are willing to do these inspections for us. Can you imagine what it would cost if Transport Canada was doing the inspections. I think, much like the scuba diving and skydiving, self inspection/certification/regulation is preferable to the alternative.

lorne green said:
So, I can take from all this that when we Canadians have a sub-assebly AND a pre close at the same time (trying to kill two birds, you know) I should expect to be paying for both inspections. I've been holding off on the sub to save on the inspector's travel costs (which of course, I pay) I plan on one visit. Oh, Lord let me get it right the first time! (I think the current rate is 45 cents per kilometer.) :) Hey, I'm just glad there's folks out there that are willing to do these inspections for us. Can you imagine what it would cost if Transport Canada was doing the inspections. I think, much like the scuba diving and skydiving, self inspection/certification/regulation is preferable to the alternative.

The reason I was given was that folks were booking sub-assy inspections, and asking for pre-cover, which is more intensive. So now only one fee.
You will only pay for a pre-close, as I understand it.

TC used to do the inspections; I don't know what they charged.

Back