What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Black

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
You almost never see black aircraft,auto, boat, anything? in print. They do not photo well?. Look good ,clean, in person,,,,.,,. but not in print.? :confused:

Last edited:
I've got quite a few years experience in auto painting so I'd like to consider myself at least a smidgeon qualified to throw in my .02 that any black vehicle (car, plane, boat, etc.), while quite pretty, only looks pretty for about a day after you wash it.

After the dust settles on it, it just looks ugly and dirty.
Also, black sucks up heat like no other color and the interior of anything black will be considerably hotter compared to anything of a lighter color. I wouldn't want my avionics to sit inside a black aircraft in direct sun for any length of time; they get hot enough already.

On the other hand, I haven't washed my silver Dodge Ram for at least 3 months and it still looks as clean as my neighbors car that he washed last weekend. ;)

Vern

I'll second what Vern said. I've photographed plenty of black sports cars, and the photos came out just fine. It's all in setting up a proper background to shoot against, but the real world hassle of keeping up the finish is impractical. Along with the dirt and dust problem, swirl marks from polishing the finish are really noticable on black paint. I've also found that shades of reds and yellows on aircraft really photograph well, especially against a grass background.

Kai
D2H Shooter - RV Dreamer :D

Back