What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cross Country in back seat of RV-8?

popwell

I'm New Here
Not to be sexist, but the questions is mostly for the wifes out there.

Do you mind riding in the back seat of an RV-8? Would you prefer a side by side like the RV-7?

Is it comfortable enough for the 3 to 4 hour trip?

I ask this in trying to decide which aircraft to build. I understand the RV-10 would be the best choice but cost is a factor so a 7/9 or the 8 is my options.

Thanks

Last edited:
My wife got her first ride in the back seat of our "8" and her only comment was she needs a booster cushion. I shall take care of that. Before the "8" we had a citabria and she did not mind the back seat.... loves the speed and visibility of the "8" more. Before that we had a "V" tail Bonanza and while side by side she slept on most cross countries. Now I will say that I have small mirrors so I can see what's going on in the back seat.

I did a 1.5 hr cross-country in the back of a friends -8 before mine was complete. I didn't mind being in back but I knew I would eventually have mine done.

I have gotten married since completing my -8 and my wife love going with me. We have travelled from Houston to Brenham, Dallas, St. Joseph, Mo., and Oshkosh. She eventually wants to work on her PP license and would prefer to sit next to me (so she can see the instruments). But for now, the back seat is fine.

Karl

The one bullet point summary is that the passenger in the back of the -8/-8A has MORE room than as a passenger in a 7/8/9. Elbow room, that is....

I've flown all over the country in the back of -8s, so I can speak with honesty.

Best always,
Doug

I rode in the back of an -8 from Savannah to LOE. Nine hours of flying in one day. It was a little long but 3-4 hours was no problem. I think you could easily do six hours if you stop and rest between flights. The views are great in the back of an -8 especially going over the mountains.

For togetherness side by side

I went from the RV-4 to the RV-7.

I flew my girlfriend around it the back of the RV-4 on very long X-C's flying all day, she was comfy and had an acceptable view. Some times I'd scrunch down so she had a full view forward. However you might as well be in formation with another plane when it comes to looking at each other. My thick neck does not allow my head to turn 180. You kind of can't see your passenger. Intercom needless to say is a must. A rear view mirror is useful. We could hand each other maps or a drink bottle, over the shoulder. I could grab her feet (which where on my sides). In winter getting heat to the back and leaks in the canopy can make the back (a lot) colder than the front.

Side by side is self explanatory. I have heard other flying spouses say they like it back there. They have their own space and they can kind of spread out the needlepoint or what ever they want. I think a second gps would be cool. That way the can see where they are and when they will get there. With GPS alt and speed, you can cheaply add a gps to the back. Run a little power and go with a on board internal antenna.

Fact is the wife will be looking at the back of your head verses your face or side of your face. Depending on how ugly you are that could be a plus to the wife. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Last edited:
There was another thread on this already. My wife wrote about this very subject. You can see the thread here

-----Original Message-----
From: teamrv(at)yahoogroups.com [mailto:teamrv(at)yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Michelle Stewart
To: Team RV; Bruce Haase
Subject: [Team RV] Sunday Flying from Photo's Perspective

I was thinking one day, I needed to get to know Mike's new toy, the
"Super 8", a little better and more "personally", so I asked him to take
me flying on Sunday. I didn't care where we went, we didn't even have
to have a destination - I just wanted to fly. Over the North Georgia
Mountains or Lake Lanier would have been fine. As many of you know,
I've been a little skeptical about this tandem thing, after enjoying the
side-by-side of the RV6 for so long.

It turns out Mike had a quick meeting early Sunday morning in
Cartersville, GA, to redo some paperwork for the -8. So we got to the
airport early and took off for Cartersville. Boy, that airplane is
smooooooooooooth, and quiet, too! I powered up the GPS in the back seat
and could not believe it - we were going about 225 kts (with a tail
wind)! It was a beautiful morning and the flight was great (but quick!)
- I can't believe the visibility in the -8.

On the way to Cartersville, we discussed the options of where to go
after his meeting, and decided to try my brother Bruce, who recently
moved to Guntersville, AL, overlooking beautiful Guntersville Lake. I
had not seen his house there yet. I called Bruce from the Cartersville
airport and caught him just before heading out for church. Mike said he
guestimated 40 minutes to get from Cartersville to Guntersville, so
Bruce said he'd pick us up at the airport in 45 minutes. We took off,
and Mike asked if I wanted to try flying it (another one of my
criticisms of the -8 - you can't see nor fly it from the back seat!).
Well, I was wrong - within a few minutes, he walked me through setting
up my GPS, and I flew it! It was really easy to fly and again,
visibility was no problem! As I settled in to flying it and watching
the GPS, I noticed we only had 16 minutes ete to Guntersville! This
thing really IS fast!

We landed at Guntersville airport, after passing over the lake and my
brother's house. Bruce arrived shortly thereafter and we went to his
place (adorable, beautiful view, and NO rat-race like Atlanta), had
breakfast in town, then headed back to the airport. We planned on doing
a couple of passes over Bruce's house, which ended up including a roll.
I cannot believe how smooth this airplane is. I don't know all the
technological or mechanical terms or reasons why, but it just
feels..."smoother"!

I really "connected" with the airplane on Sunday, as I told Mike. I
love the space and comfort in the back seat. Visibility forward is no
problem; visibility everywhere else is excellent. Mike's cute little
rear-view mirrors a great - we can actually see each other's face while
we talk. The tinted canopy is great for controlling most of the sun's
brightness, but I'll probably get a stick-on type sun shade for those
long trips. The fresh air in the back is great - the HEAT is awesome,
too! I have heat in the back seat of an -8! What more could I ask for?

Only one problem on my first real experience in the Super 8: I forgot
the camera! But I did get to analyze and enjoy the plane and the flying
more without it.

So until next time......

Photo
"Click"!
mhurleyga(at)yahoo.com

My wife is not interested in doing the flying but enjoys the journey. We have a Supercub and she likes it back there.

Then we had a -9A and she liked it though would get cross if I complained that the knitting was getting too tangled with the maps!

The -9A is sold and I am building a -4. She is positive about that, because it will have a dedicated knitting compartement, but is a little concerned that the view is restricted. The pax is sitting around the trailing edge of the flap so the view down is poor. It is all sideways and a long way out. I am concerned for on long trips. I guess the -8 will have a similar limitation.

Back Seat Captain

My wife loves the space and the view from the backseat of the 8. We have made several long jaunts and she loves the view everytime we go. I have mounted a 496 on the front seat back .. and she is the chief navigator, wx checker, airport picker for fuel and RON's so that keeps here actively involved in the trip. With the panel page displayed, she either flys or keeps my honest.
She has flown with me over the years in both types of seating arrangements and really likes the comfort and view in the 8.

Who's the passenger?

popwell said:
Do you mind riding in the back seat of an RV-8? Would you prefer a side by side like the RV-7?

Do I mind? Heavens, no! Any ride in an RV beats time in a Skylane. BUT, I strongly prefer the side-by-side. If passengers are a deciding interest, think about their interest in flying. As a pilot, I like to fully engage in the flight...watching instruments, having a full view of the scenery, and even relieving the PIC when appropriate. I strongly prefer sharing an RV-6/7.

If your probable passengers will, instead, read, knit, anad generally treat the plane as a parlor, go with the style you prefer. The 8 is all about the PIC, IMHO.

Of course, if you can swing it, you can follow our solution of his-and-her RVs. I have a side-by-side 6 and he has the 8. The main concession so far is the development and installation of a throttle control in the back. I would not be comfortable without the ability to land (and ground loop).

Lastly, I have found the rumors about the backseat of 8s to be true. The heater is less effective and the rain comes in more in the 8.

The 8 is a wonderful aircraft and I would love to fly it. But, as an engaged passenger, I strongly prefer a side-by-side.

Last edited:
Louise is Right On...

Of Course, I better agree with my GIB (Geologist in Back...)! ;)

When I was building the -8, I was married to a woman who had no interest in flying, but might consider riding along if the destination was important to her. (The marriage ended before the airplane was finished, so this was OBE...) I knew that it would be a pilot's aircraft, with an occasional passenger. Having flown a side-by-side Grumman for many years, I was a bit tired of always being shoulder-challenged with a passenger aboard, and the extra width available in the tandem for each person is kind of nice.

However, with two pilots on board, it is hard to relegate one to the back seat. I know that if I were flying in the back of someone else's -8, I'd either want a nice display (ala' a 396) so I could participate as a crewmember...or a nice pillow so I could just sleep through the trip.

With Louise on board, we can add yet a 4th GPS to the airplane (her 396) so that she can be a part of the operation. But, as she says, the nicest thing is having her -6 available so that we can go side-by-side. The deciding factor on which goes on which trip right now comes down to weather - the Valkyrie is set up for solid IFR flying, and her -6 isn't quite there - yet!

So I agree - Louise has it just about right - the back seat of an -8 is a nice place to ride, but most pilots would rather be up front!

Paul

Last edited:
My wife was (and still is) a bit concerned on how she will like the back of our not yet completed 8A. One of the reasons I picked the 8A as the second project was the increased room for both the pilot and passanger as opposed to the two of us in the -6, and the ability to balance a bigger load (than in the -6). I'm hopeful she will enjoy the new RV (she does have the added advantage of smacking the back of my head). Sitting on the centerline appeals to me and most of my flying is done solo. My 2 cents.

Back