What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Rivet Spacing on Tubes

Rick6a

Well Known Member
The plans call for 8 equally spaced rivets. The easiest way I know how to lay out 8 holes on a round tube with reasonable accuracy is by using a piece of tape cut to length and a fan spacer. The pictures should explain the process.

rivetspacing00412jy1.jpg
rivetspacing00612wb8.jpg

rivetspacing00912bd5.jpg

Rivet spacing

Awesome idea. I myself had to go back to my high school book on trig to figure out sines, cosines, and tangents... at least it joggled some connectins upstairs..
TN
RV-8 QB

Now I know how spoiled we are on the RV-10! The RV-10 plans have full sized templates that you cut out and tape to the tubes, basically the same idea as what you're doing.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Dang Rick....every time I had to do one of those, I did the math....I LOVE simple ideas! (I've never had a fan rivet spacer...maybe now I have an excuse - for the NEXT project!

Paul

Ironflight........I've never had a fan rivet spacer...maybe now I have an excuse.....Paul
Paul,

I found using fan spacers on the 6A to be a huge time saver since the builder has to lay out many hole patterns, especially along the fuselage. Sometimes I would cleco two or more fan spacers together to lay out especially long runs. At McDonnell, we were taught to use a scale and math to determine rivet spacing. Although I've never seen it, I'm told the Douglas guys in California actually used a flexible type of clear tape with small dots or holes in it. By stretching the tape out along the sheet, rivet spacing was automatic without having to do math......similiar in concept to using a fan spacer.

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you just wrap a piece of paper around the tube. Mark the point where the paper meets its end. Remove the paper, fold in half (one end against the previous mark). Repeat until you have 8 folds. Rewrap the paper around the tube and transfer marks from the folds to the tube. Now you have 8 equally spaced marks.

Did this building model rockets back in the day, and probably did it on my plane.

Low Pass said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you just wrap a piece of paper around the tube. Mark the point where the paper meets its end. Remove the paper, fold in half (one end against the previous mark). Repeat until you have 8 folds. Rewrap the paper around the tube and transfer marks from the folds to the tube. Now you have 8 equally spaced marks.

Well...yeah...but what about when you only want 6 rivets? :confused:

I flunked origami....

I don't have a fan rivet spacer, but I do have a set of dividers from my old drafting kit I used in college (I bet a lot of others have them tucked away somewhere). I use it a lot to step off spacing for rivets etc.

Ironflight said:
Well...yeah...but what about when you only want 6 rivets? :confused:

I flunked origami....
Have done that - ala three-fin rockets! Gotta work the paper a bit for the 1/3 split. But it works too. Fold paper a second time for six!

Tape is a good idea. In lieu of the rivet fan, just measure the length of the tape, divide by the number of rivets you need. Pretty simple (and cheap!).

Did this building model rockets back in the day, and probably did it on my plane.

i watched on myth busters that a piece of paper can only be folded in half seven times. not that it takes 8 folds to get 8 marks, just gee whiz.
@#$% those exponents

Last edited:
Tube Spacing for rivets

One other way of doing it is C= pi x the diameter divided by the number of rivets. For example: 1.5" dia tube x 3.141592 = 4.712388 circumference divided by 8 = .5890 spacing. Put this on a piece of tape and put it on the tube. Ok, so I'm a nurd, but I really did it this way and a worked for me. ;-) Carl

6 of one 8 of another

I posted awhile back I posted an easy ways to do 6 holes using a 6 sided nut and a square in a V block in a drill press. It?s a simple a simple machinist trick; you just use the nut and square to index it 6 times. I?m getting ready to do the 8 hole push rod, and will use a square piece of metal with a hole in it trapped between 2 nuts, and use the square to locate 4 of the holes and use the 45◦ feature of my tri-square to locate the other 4 holes. I like to offset every other hole about 3/32 so as to not form a ?dotted line? around the end of the tube. :rolleyes:

Similar in concept to the McD-D tape solution. Use a rubber band. Just snugly and lightly wrap the band around the tube and mark a line for the start / end point. Remove the rubber band, cut it opposite and away from the marks. Now, between the marks, mark spacing at equal intervals, for 4, or 5, or 6, or 8, or whatever the number of rivets are called for. All of the periodic rivet locations just need to be located between the previously marked start / finish lines. The last task is to stretch the now cut rubber band until the first and last rivet marks line up, and all the others rivet mark locations will be equally spaced.

Hmmmm...I just use a strip of paper, measure it at the overlap point and divide by n, then mark it with either calipers set to the correct length or a steel rule laid along it (although I like the rivet fan method...have to try that next time).

How accurate are you all trying to get this spacing, anyway? I figure anything within 1/64" has to be "good enough" :)

One other way of doing it is C= pi x the diameter divided by the number of rivets. For example: 1.5" dia tube x 3.141592 = 4.712388 circumference divided by 8 = .5890 spacing. Put this on a piece of tape and put it on the tube. Ok, so I'm a nurd, but I really did it this way and a worked for me. ;-) Carl

Come on guys, this is the EASIEST way! C = <pi>*d !!

Back