What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS site updated, factory visit report

randylervold

For those who have been interested in more detailed info on the features of the new AF-3400/3500 it looks like Rob has just given his web site a makeover with more info, check it out... www.advanced-flight-systems.com. There are now detailed screen shots, a feature comparison with Dynon, and updated manual posted on the support page.

I stopped by and talked to Rob recently for some support questions on my installation and found out that they have now shipped over 90 units and are slowly ramping up production as processes develop. It's easy to see why their out of box reliability is so good: 100% of all subassemblies are tested and verified before they go into a unit. Then the units have every single function tested/verified and calibrated on some very expensive test equipment. Slow, but a real confidence builder for someone who will be flying behind it. This is why they still have a backlog of orders, they can only make so many with all the verification and calibration.

As I work through the installation of my AF-3500 (pic here) I am still discovering features and capabilities I didn't know it had... what a cool box! It's amazing how well this stuff works such as even small things like the electronic slip/skid indicator.. absolutely accurate and lifelike. I can only imagine how valuable and cool the data acquisition will be... grab the SD card out of the slot after any flight and head home to view/analyze almost everything about the flight including exactly what my engine was doing. Wow!

Lastly, just a note for those deciding on which EFIS system to get, don't overlook the "Sport" version of the AF-3400/3500 (pic here). It is the full engine monitor and all air data functions, just no artificial horizon (AHRS). That means you won't need a conventional airspeed indicator, altimeter, or VSI. Frankly, for most VFR pilots, this is all you need. Going this way takes the cost WAY down and it is upgradable to AHRS down the road. They don't publish any upgrade prices yet but I'm told they will. Essentially, for ~$3,700 including all sensors you can get a full system of everything you need including optional AOA. Add an autopilot (for both convenience and as a butt-saver for low visibility) and a Garmin 396/496 and you've got one helluva panel for under ten grand! Builders on a more constrained budget should take a serious look at this.

Last edited:
Randy,

According to the AFS website:

AF-3400SP: $2753
4Cyl Engine Probes: $1165
AOA: $799

Total: $4717 ($5141 for the 3500, +$411 for 6 cyl)

How did you get a total of $3600 for all sensors including AOA? It seems you skipped the cost of the engine sensors.

Jordan1976 said:
Randy,
According to the AFS website:
AF-3400SP: $2753
4Cyl Engine Probes: $1165
AOA: $799
Total: $4717 ($5141 for the 3500, +$411 for 6 cyl)

How did you get a total of $3600 for all sensors including AOA? It seems you skipped the cost of the engine sensors.
Oops, forgot to include the AOA. Some of Rob's dealers will give you a little better price than the MSRPs listed. Shop around, you might be able to get the 3400SP and sensor pack for $3,700. With the AOA it would be more. Sorry for the omission/error. :confused:

Have the 3500 on order from Stein Air. Even though I'm not quite ready for it yet, the wait for the screen is 4 - 5 months. Should have it in by June.

3500 software glitch

Just a quick bit of info----------the 3500 has a software glitch in the tach sensor setting------at least for the six cylinder engines-------not sure about other engines, but the fix is quick and easy.

Contact Rob for an update.

Mike

My dual AF-3400 screens have been working great. I've got a small glitch with the capacitive fuel probes, but that's mainly because I didn't put resistors in line as is now stated in the install manual.

By the way, I've been working on graphing the data from my flights. I'm hoping to make a web page where you upload the data and it'll return the graphs. Here's a rough sketch of what the output will look like:
http://www.dualrudder.com/rv7/flight5.html

Back