What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument updates?

speed

I really like the glass cockpit idea, it looks smooth. However, I see one drawback that may or may not be an issue. software / data updates ?

Most if not all instruments display some time of airport/airspace data, etc. All this data must be transmitted to the device, if dynamic, or stored in some storage device for recall, if static. Thats a lot of info, and if I have different devices store duplicate information I could have a data integrity problem :(

Do instruments vendors provide the data updates or do the pilots have to generate the data and upload this information? How often/fast does this aviation data really change?

Since I am still a student, there seems to be a push that it is the pilots responibility to get/maintain update information. I assume this goes beyond just weather and local flight patterns.

Thanks in advance.

Typically the data is made available to the pilot, but it's ultimately HIS reponsibiliy to load it into the machine. This is now DIRT simple in many of the new glass systems.

Chelton uses a really nice data card that you just can insert/remove from the FACE of the EFIS,

GRT (Grand Rapids) has a USB port on the efis, and provides a Memory Stick that you simply load from your laptop or wherever and insert the little stick into the screen and you're done.

Others use serial cables, USB's, etc.. from a laptop.

Just my 2 cents...most of my experience is working with Chelton, GRT & Dynon, but I also Understand that BMA has a very slick update scenario as well.

Cheers,
Stein.

Electronic update

First would the lack of the most current update make it unsafe? Is it legal?
As a student you will read in the FARS, part 91:

91.3 - Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command:
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

91.103 - Preflight action:
Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, shall become familiar with all available information concerning that flight.

For the sake of conversation, breaking the "glass cockpit" down into two groups: flight instruments and Nav instruments. Of these there are certified (IFR) and non-certified experimental instruments or VFR only GPS.

EFIS "glass" - electronic flight instrument systems (attitude, airspeed, altitude) don't need a database to work but do get updated operating software to improve performance or add features. Sometimes the updates do correct small glitches. Most would agree that there should be back-ups to any primary EFIS instrument. If you are a VFR pilot and your fancy "glass" goes blank, the engine is still running, you land. If you move on to get your IFR rating, loss of a primary flight instrument in actual instrument low visibility conditions, especially an instrument that that has everything on one display, would be of major concern. Therefore they are often backed up with redundant displays or instruments that don't work on software. At least it is a good idea. It is up to the pilot to operated safely. To fly VFR you need very few instruments by the regulations: compass, airspeed, altimeter and engine & fuel gages. Also you should still have some paper charts on board as a back-up.

NAVIGATION glass requires the most updates. NAV data updates for the GPS come out on a regular 28 day cycle. Whether it is a VFR handheld or a panel mounted full IFR GPS, they should be updated, but it is not always necessary to have the latest revision. Do you need GPS to do touch and goes? What about a local or cross-country flight with a current sectional chart? Are you going to double check your position with "pilotage" (looking at the ground)? If you have current charts do you need a current GPS NAV data loaded? If you were using your GPS to do instrument approaches, as an instrument rated pilot flying IFR, you would be required to have the current data base by the regulations, no option here. Some GPS now have warnings from airspace or ground hazards like tall TV towers. Again you should not rely on you GPS to keep you out of restricted or class B, C or D airspace and avoid tall towers unless you are sure it is updated. Even then the makers of these GPS and the database have disclaimers that tell you that you are responsible and the data is no guarantee. I can tell you they are usually accurate and have saved me from going in airspace that I overlooked. For the newer VFR GPS that warn of ground obstructions like tall radio/TV towers may not be accurate. Towers pop up all the time and may not be in the database or even charted. You will learn about NOTAMS that can be temporary restrictions or changes that have not been incorporated yet in charts. The point is don?t get complacent about the electronics and check out from being an airman. Remember you are responsible to check out all available information, including charts, notams, airport data, weather, fuel required, aircraft performance and weight and balance. With that said the new generation of electronics flight instruments, in-flight real time weather, engine monitors and digital autopilots are wonderful things. Just remember you need to know what to do if it all goes by-by and you need to be a pilot and not a video game player. The ground is still hard and a color display will not keep it from coming up and hitting you hard.

Don't get too concerned that your glass EFIS attitude indicator has the latest version of code and loose sight of the big picture. The point is to evaluate what is it safe? What is legal? What if it fails? What are you using to cross check it? What are your back-ups? Have fun learning to fly. The basics of flying and airmanship have not changed. Learn the basics and don't get too focused on the fancy stuff.

I have 3 "glass" electronic instruments: EFIS D-10 Dynon, Grand Rapids EIS-4000 Engine information system and a Garmin handheld GPS. I check the Dynon web site every week to month. They have not made any changes to the software of the D-10 since the first of the year. You get the update for free off the web and plug the EFIS unit into a laptop. As the Dynon gets more mature updates have gotten much less frequent. The EIS-4000 a very mature design. I have over the years returned it twice to trade up to an upgraded model for more functions. The software is very mature and stable and is not really user updated. My handheld Garmin GPS is updated over the web and thru your PC and a data cable or a Garmin dealer. Over 5 years there have been a few software updates and the standard NAV data updates. Since I don't rely on it to provide 100% nav info, I update the NAV data once every year or so. The operating software version can be updated for free. I usually bring it to the Garmin guy at the airshows to upgrade the basic operating system on the spot. It has been awhile since they changed the operating system.

Cheers George :D

Last edited:
Back