What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice on compressor

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Hey guys.. I'm going to be doing a review on a bead blaster soon that I bought from texas.. 55 gal drum with a pretty big window.. anyways... I need a compressor with 12scfm at 80-90 psi. Any 110 compressors out there for that? and good ones you'd buy? Any advice is welcome!
Thanks
Brian

I'd stay away from 110v compressors, even if you found one with sufficient capacity, it will probably be a pain to operate. They tend to blow circuit breakers and melt extension cords in my experience. 220v is the way to go. If your working from home, wiring a 220v circuit to your garage is not hard. I've done it before and I'm not an electrician.

I don't recall the CFM rating, but I have a Black Max compressor that has served me well. A good friend of mine has a smaller 110v compressor that's a pain due to the aforementioned issues.

Being somewhat old fashioned, I prefer serviceable compressors, some are "dry" or "maintenance free" and use either no oil or are setup such that you cannot change the oil. Others the compressor is much like a small combustion motor with an oil-filled crankcase. These seem to last longer and are of course much more serviceable. Still, you'll likely get a few years of moderate use from a dry compressor.

best of luck

Last edited:
Do a search of the forum.

This issue has come up repeatedly, lots of good info in prior threads.

By the way, the above post is correct, 220v with oil filled crankcase is the way to go. IMHO

Mike

110V, 5 hp, liquid, direct drive, 30 gal, 110 psi

I found my compressor at Tractor Supply. It was on sale for $379 if I remember correct. Quiet operartion twin cylinder. Used an outlet close enough in my 1/2 garage/shop so no need for extension chord. No breakers blown yet. I'm quite happy.

Air Compressors

Do search the archives. I doubt that there's a 110V compressor in existance that will pump 12 scfm at 90 psi. If this need is only on occasion, you can manifold two hefty 110V compressors together using two seperate outlets on different circuit breakers to accomplish the job.

I have yet to paint my RV and this is what I plan to do. If I had it to do all over again, I'd pay the electrician (if you don't feel comfortable wiring for 220V yourself) and buy a compressor that exceeds your requirments. Most compressor makers claim more than reality on their scfm outputs. Sort of like most aircraft manufacturers cruise speed and fuel burn claims.

Sand blasting 101 - duty cycle

ALWAYS use 220 volt when heavy duty loads are involved. We sand blast our project cars and to avoid constant duty cycle, I added a second compressor which feeds air to the existing tank. When the existing compressor and pump kick on, they flip a relay which engages the second compressor that has its own 220v motor.

The formula is simple. Volts times amps equals watts. If you double the voltage (220 versus 110), you halve the amps for the same amount of watts. That translates to less heat in the wire and longer life for the motors.

ALWAYS use the next larger grade of wire to your receptacle. Wire is cheap versus the savings in compressor life and electricity due to heat loss.

ALWAYS have a dryer for the air supply and drain the dryer frequently. Make sure the compressors have access to cool air or they will croak pronto.

No body shops use 110 volt motors for their compressors. Where 480 volt, three phase power is available, that's the best supply.

Back