What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted flight and brake reservoir?

KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
I am putting an inverted oil system in my 7 and was wondering if anyone has changed the brake fluid reservoir cap to some sort of a one way check valve. I want to change the cap so that I don't end up with a brake fluid bath everytime I roll upside down for mor than a few seconds.

If anyone has been through this and could suggest some good how to info I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Keith

On a F1 Rocket that I built I used a PVC valve. I picked it up at the local auto store. Get one with a long fitting that a hose will slide over. File off the hose barbs and tap it to the right thread that will match the brake fluid tank. Works great and is cheap.

andrew phillips said:
check rvproject.com Dan bought a valve that he used for this purpose.
Alex Peterson sells what's called the "Reservoir Dog." I don't do any real negative G stuff, but I've never seen so much as a weep of red.

Use a pipe plug in the top just be sure you leave about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of expansion space for the fluid.. So when brakes get hot you will not get auto brake application....Cheers.. RB

The brake system must be vented. As brake pads wear, the fluid will go down in the reservoir. This space must be replaced with air. I don't do "sustained" inverted. My reservoir has a piece of tubing bent 180 degrees and the end is below the reservoir. So the MOST fluid I would lose is a drop or 2.

I would recommend Richard's solution. When the brakes get a bit spongy then undo the plug and let some air in. You don't have to do it very often. Prevents any possibility of a brake fluid leak.

Pete

reservoir dog

Keith,
I use a "Reservoir Dog" on my-4 and have flown inverted a number of times and never had a leak...it's a good product and will serve you well.

glenn654
RV-4
N654RV @ OKZ

Like Mel I just have a piece of bent tubing that extends below the reservoir. Have never seen a red stain.

Overboard vent

I have individual reservoirs on each brake master cylinder with a 1/8" NPT to 1/8" dia. tube fitting in the top. I run the 1/8" tube to an overboard vent fitting. (1/8" tube to 1/8" NPT fitting in overboard vent.)

I fill the brake reservoir from the brake caliper without having to get into the cockpit. I just carfully place something to catch the brake fluid under the external machined NACA laminar flow symetrical airfoil vent fitting.

http://www.lessdrag.com/machinedparts.html

I have had this vent installed on my RV-3 since 1988. I installed a pair of these in my companies RV-6A. I have a set to be installed in my long nose RV-4.

There are static ports in the bottom of the fitting for a brake reservoir vent. The static ports can also be used for some of the steam room gauges that have case vents.
I use the vent hole in the leading edge of the vent for a pressure vent for the fuel tanks. Which is why I install two vent fittings.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

I have used an automotive PVC valve and it works well. Used it on the F1 Rocket and after many minutes of sustained inverted flight no fluid was lost. I threaded the plastic nipple where the hose would normally go and then screwed the valve into where the air breather normally goes.

1/16th hose

I use a fitting screwed into the resevour with a 1/16th tygon tube (i.e very small) I run the tube into the brether line from the invert tank But you could just as well run it out the bottom of the cowl.

The line is so small that any flow is negligable...

See me testing it in my display pic...:)

Frank

brake fluid

Our Pitts has individual brake cylinders at each rudder pedal. These are sealed with threaded plugs on top and not vented. The level does go down a bit and the master cylinders need to be topped occasionally. No problems encountered from sealed masters over 20+ years. Am doing the same on our -8. Have found bleeding very simple - bottom up. Bill

Back