What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help wanted: avionics

keithschult

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6A built by another so I am not the "enabled" repairman. I have two issues that I cannot find anyone to help me troubleshoot. My A&P is not avionics and the avionics shops around Kansas City do not work on experimental avionics since they don't have wiring diagrams, they're not STC'd, etc.

My problems may be as simple as loose connections, or not.

Here are my two problems:

1) Rocky Mountain uMonitor stopped tracking the fuel use (constantly displays 38 gal) and the gph (constantly displays 0.1). This occurred right after I got it out of the shop and, while it worked for the first half hour on the next flight, it stopped then with these symptons. If I never push the reset buttons then the 38 gal display will drop by 0.1 gal every hour.

The next problem began after another shop visit:
2) Navaid autopilot: When my 30 amp alternator gave up the ghost my A&P and I replaced it with a 60 amp alternator with built-in voltage regulator. We also rewired with a heavier duty gauge wire, from the alternator to the new 50 amp circuit breaker. On my first flight after, the Navaid autopilot did not work. The red led rate-of-turn indicator still works but the switch for TK-TC-WL does nothing.

I realize that these things may be as simple as a loose connection or a ground, etc., but I'm not qualified to work on this.

I'm looking for help and I'll fly anywhere I need to. In fact, though I live in KC I often fly to Dallas for business, which is where I am today. Problem number 2 began shortly before this trip. Is there anyone close with any experience with similar problems?

Kieth

Did you do the work or verify it. Some times these guys will go in and hookup to the easyiest point.
A power surge may be affecting both units
On your rocky mountain go into settings and make sure your kfactor is set right. the former owner may have written it into the manuel. if correct check the connection to the back of the gauge and the wires comming off the fuel flow transducer check any connections that come tru the firewall especially if the new wire to alt. come thru at the same point.

The navaide unit may have suffered from a surge, again checthe connection
on both the head and the servo under the seat or out in the wing. what work was done the first time it was in the shop?

Dennis

Thanks, I'll check into those things, especially the kfactor from the previous owner.

The first shop visit covered a lot of cosmetics and upgrades: particularly Infinity stick grips, a center console with throttle quadrant, and new landing lights, etc. The radios, intercom, transponder and RMI monitor were temporarily removed because the aircraft did sit outside for a short period before work began. I have removed the monitor and checked the plug-in strip for security and cleanliness and checked the socket it fits into.

Keith

Talk to Ron Mowrer at Rocky Mountain instruments about your fuel monitoring problem.

He's been very helpful whenever I have had problems.

Bryan Carr

Back