What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AKZO Shelf Life

rleffler

Well Known Member
The directions on the AKZO primer state that the shelf life is 8 hours after mixing.

Since I'm new at this, I'm curious as to how long after the 8 hours has somebody used AKZO and what were the results.

I had my first priming session today with the VS parts. My first batch of AKZO, I under estimated the amount I needed. The second batch I over estimated the amount needed. I guess I'll get better at estimating primer volume needed by the time I get done.

I have successfully put it in the freezer and used it several days later for small jobs.

T.

Bob,

As you know, AKZO is not exactly cheap. I went through the same learning curve as you when I built the 6A. Freezing the unused portion will work for a few days and you will be able to tell when it is no longer viable. It starts to curdle like spoiled milk.

I found that this time around, I save a great deal of time and trouble by mixing up just enough primer to be contained within a 12 oz cup. I use small 3 oz. cups dipped into the gallon cans to measure out equal parts A and B. I then form a little spout on the 12 oz. cup and pour the mix into the film canister for the small spray gun. Depending upon the size and number of parts you plan on priming during a given session, you may have to fill the film canister many times but I was able to prime all the empennage and wing components I wanted to with ease. The small gun works very well for most parts...even the long aileron push pull tubes. But if you plan on priming larger surfaces such as a full skin, a larger gun would be a more practical choice. The best part is cleanup. Toss the paper cups and run a little MEK through the gun. You are done.

akzo20hw1.jpg

Last edited:
Rick, thanks for you comments. I did the VS parts on the 10 yesterday. I used the same gun that you did. I have to admit, it started to get rather old refilling the film canister, but the clean up was great.

Do you have any experience on the effieciency of the primer gun versus a normal HVLP gun?

Also, do you have a source for the 12oz paper cups?

Bob,

The only other gun I have used are those small touch-up accessory spray guns widely available at Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight. Despite my efforts at cleaning them after a session, always a chore, I still went through three of them. Sooner or later, they stop working...at least for me.

Did you know you can slightly adjust the distance of the pickup tube relative to the air nozzle on the gun? By experimentation, you will find that you can blow through a full canister of primer rather quickly or get a lot more mileage out of it by adjusting the trigger pressure, distance from part, and pick-up tube position.

The cups are available from both Wick's and Spruce.

I wasn't aware of that adjustment. I went though more paint than I thougt I would have.

I started out with 90psi and went through the first can really quick. I dropped to 50psi for the rest of the paint. I found best results with short quick bursts, which in restrospect is probably indicatative of the pressure being to high.

I guess I'll have to experiment more when I prime the rudder next week.

No one can deny this is clearly an educational opportunity! :D

I use a couple of stainless steel ladles from the aviation section of Bed, Bath and Beyond to measure out the AKZO. It's super easy to measure and dispense doing it like that and I rarely end up with more than a few drops left.

rleffler said:
I started out with 90psi and went through the first can really quick. I dropped to 50psi for the rest of the paint.
I'll admit that I'm using a different gun than you are (I'm using the HF touch-up gun), but your pressures sound way too high. I prime at 25 psi, and that's at the tank before the water filters and 25 ft of hose.

Next time you prime, try starting at a low psi, like maybe 25 and gradually increasing if you don't get the results you're looking for.

At 90 psi I'd have to nail the parts down to keep them from blowing away, and I'd bet you're blowing most of your paint into the air.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

I use 8 oz yogurt cups to mix my AKZO. I use the cheap plastic solo cups to (quickly) dip the stuff out of the cans. The #5 plastic cups work great and all you need to do is clean them with a little blue Dawn dish detergent.

BTW, to anyone considering using spray cans from NAPA. Don't

I ran out of AKZO last week and had one F-824 side skin left so I went and picked up a can of napa FOR $8.00 and I couldn't even do the whole skin and my garage stunk for 5 days. Needless to say I hopped on A/C Spruce website and placed my order $139 with shipping (fedex ground) and I got it in 2 days. $139 for 2 gallons of AKZO is a bargain.

Air pressure...

I just picked up the same gun Rick pictured, and in the instructions (honest... I only glanced at them :eek: ) suggested air pressure of 35 - 45 (I think... going from memory), so 90 psi seems way to high, 50 is coming close.

Van's sells this gun for only $20, which I thought was a pretty good deal, especially if you compare to rattle cans.

Last edited:
Rick,

It's not intuitive to me how to adjust the gun. The only thing that turns seems to take the tip off.

bob

rleffler said:
Rick,

It's not intuitive to me how to adjust the gun. The only thing that turns seems to take the tip off.

bob

I don't believe you can adjust air pressure at the gun, you'll have to go back to the regulator.

Also, no need to screw in the tip tightly. Better so that it can swivel back and forth so that if you turn the gun sideways to get a spot you don't pour primer out the cup (gravity will swivel the cup/tip keeping it vertical, even when the gun itself isn't).

Hobby Store

I like this one from Badger... buy at your local hobby store...

bad250-4.jpg

Buy the optional 2 oz glass jar to go with it. The jars have lids, so they could be stored in the freezer if you have stuff left over.

Good for those small AKZO touch up jobs, and easy to clean...

You can even measure the 1:1 ratio in the glass jar

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Back