What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel mount moving map

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I'm considering the KMD-150, Skymap IIIC, Garmin 400 and Garmin 396 w/airdock for that blank space in my RV-7A panel. I'd welcome any input and comparisons.

Opinions? Comments?

Thanks, Mike

I have a KMD-150 GPS mounted beside a GRT Horizon 1. Haven't flown it yet. It took a bit of extra effort to install because of the mounting angles behind the panel. This is a result of the close fit right up to the panel frame. This is an Affordable Panel 3 piece, XL panel. I have a full size AS, T/T ADI, ALT and T/T A/P (underneath, left to right). The dwawing shows a small AS but I modified this drawing for a full size.

I needed to make a relief cut on the left frame behind the panel to fit the GRTand added an angle to strengthen it. The KMD-150 cleared the center frame. The KMD-150 gives a 5 inch color VFR sectional type map. It's tied directly to the ADI and the GRT. I installed a switch to select feed for the A/P between the GRT or the KMD.

Jekyll
7A Slider

496 info

I upgraded from 296 to 496 using same mount. It's directly below GRT primary screen. See website below for picture. Can't compare to others, but very satisfied and it's removable for updates and planning. 496 is better display, faster updates than it's little brothers. I also used switch to select how GPS info gets to autopilot.

396 in Air Gizmo

I have a 396 mounted in an Air Gizmo just below a little Dynon front and center. It works really well with the vertical angle adapter.

Bendix King Skymap IIIC GPS

Hi Mike,
I have a used Bendix King Skymap IIIC with a panel mount. If you are interested in saving some money this might be an option.

I installed a KMD 150 in my RV-8 when I built it and have been very happy with it. It is very easy to use, the display shows up well in bright light, it drives the autopilot, and it is easy to install with its own built in cooling fan. Also, the unit is pretty short which is nice in the 8's instrument panel, where there isn't much room for long radios. If you are not going to fly IFR ,I would rather have this unit than a Garmin 430 because of the size of the display.

I have a KMD 150 and am totally satisfied with all aspects of it . Would do it the same if I was building now . EJ

I run a 496 and a KMD150 and love both. The 150 is an easier screen to read and does a better job of keeping me out of trouble from busting class B airspace. The 150 is a cinch to use and it's my main focus for navigating. The 496 has so many other great features that it's the perfect supplement to the 150. The database and all the info stored in that little box is amazing! I subscribe to the aviator lite weather package and XM music which is the icing on the cake. I do alot of cross county and so dual GPS was a requirment for me. I am very happy with both units and would be hard pressed to give up either one. For under 6K for both of these it's a hard combo to beat.

ccrawford said:
Is there a reason you went with a KMD-150 instead of another GRT screen for a moving map?

I wanted a full time, "sectional style" color moving map. The EIS provides my engine monitoring and the EFIS gives me my ADI with split screen display. I thought (and I still do) this combination gives me a great capability. Also, I didn't want to install an IFR GPS at this point. If GRT is successful in integrating an IFR GPS option, I may upgrade to that while keeping the KMD.

Comments above attest to the useability and quality of the KMD-150.

Jekyll

Back